Dublin retail units: is an 89-day marketing period meaningful?

sketchTheCedar

First-time buyer
First time looking closely at Dublin retail units, and I’m trying to decide whether to act now or keep watching. For my April 2026 notes, I narrowed the comparison to units marketed between €1,005,000 and €1,507,000 rather than using a citywide average. Their current marketing period is roughly 89 days.

The transaction fees seem to affect the all-in cost more than the monthly movement in asking prices. Does this look like ordinary property-by-property variation, or could it be an early change in this part of Ireland?
 
I would treat it as property-level variation until completed sales support the pattern. Asking prices and days on market only show what sellers are attempting. Check what comparable units actually completed at, then separately count listings that were withdrawn rather than sold. Otherwise an apparently stable market can simply be losing its least realistic stock.
 
How did you calculate the 89 days? Is that from first appearance, or from the latest relisting? A unit that returns with new photos or a lower price can look fresh while having been available much longer.

Also, how tight are your neighbourhood boundaries? Even within Dublin, combining streets with different footfall and surroundings could overwhelm any broader trend.
 
I slightly disagree that completed sales alone will settle it. They reflect earlier negotiations, while your April 2026 listings show current seller expectations. Neither is enough by itself.

I’d look at when price cuts occur. Several reductions shortly after listing suggest something different from reductions after a long, unsuccessful campaign. Seller motivation also matters: one determined seller can distort a small group.
 
Condition could explain much of the spread too. Are these units genuinely comparable in fit-out and repair needs, and are they vacant or occupied? You don’t need to disclose the individual properties, but those distinctions would help readers understand the sample. A narrow price band is useful, yet price alone does not necessarily create a like-for-like group.
 
I’d build a simple listing history for each unit: original date seen, original asking price, every reduction, current status, and final result if it sells or disappears. Add separate notes for neighbourhood, condition and anything known about seller motivation. Keep new-listing volume beside it as well. After a few observation periods, you should be able to distinguish normal turnover from accumulating stock without leaning too heavily on one 89-day figure.
 
Buyer financing may be the missing part of the all-in-cost issue. Two buyers can view the same price very differently if their funding and transaction costs differ, so a small monthly asking-price move may genuinely be irrelevant to them. I wouldn’t call that a Dublin market turn yet. I would use the long marketing period to ask questions and test an offer, while keeping enough room for fees and condition-related work.
 
Thanks all. The 89 days is based on the current observed marketing period, not completed-sale timing, and I can see that relistings could make it unreliable. I also haven’t separated withdrawn units or grouped price cuts by timing.

My next pass will tighten the neighbourhood boundaries and split the units by condition and occupancy, then track new listings, withdrawals and completed sales separately. For now I’ll treat this as a reason to investigate individual units rather than evidence of a wider change.
 
Back
Top