Dublin snapshot — price movement +8.9% - second opinion?

NimblePlan

First-time buyer
Established
Anything renovated seems to move quickly; properties needing work sit longer or get reduced.

I pulled a small sample of Dublin properties asking roughly €945,800 to €1,419,000. The median marketing time was about 64 days, although condition makes comparisons messy. I’m also trying to put the reported +8.9% movement in context rather than assume it applies evenly across this bracket.

The point I cannot settle is vacancy. Are buyers negotiating harder because a property is empty, or do they generally ignore that and move to the next suitable listing?
 
Vacancy by itself would not persuade me that buyers have extra leverage. An empty property may make viewings and possession simpler, but it can also suggest seller motivation. The negotiation probably turns more on why it is vacant, how long it has been listed and what work is required. A dated empty unit with an early price cut tells a different story from a recently vacated, renovated one.
 
One clarification: by vacancy, do you mean visibly unoccupied at the time of sale, or a long period without an occupier? Also, are the 64 days measured only across active and completed listings? If withdrawn stock is missing, the sample could make marketing periods look shorter than they really are.
 
The 64-day figure is useful, but vacancy could still affect a seller indirectly if an unused property is costing them money and a financed buyer can offer certainty. The difficulty is that a listing cannot reveal whether the owner actually feels that pressure, so I would not treat an empty home as automatic negotiating leverage.

The broader Dublin grouping may be the harder issue to correct later. At roughly €945,800 to €1,419,000, differences between neighbourhoods and property condition can overwhelm a tidy median or an overall 8.9% movement. I’d narrow the area, separate renovated from dated homes, and compare recent completed sales and reduction dates before drawing conclusions about vacancy.
 
I’d split the sample by neighbourhood and condition, then note the original asking price, first reduction date, current status and whether the property was withdrawn. Compare renovated and unrenovated homes separately. After that, ask agents about the vacant examples without assuming vacancy caused the discount. That should help distinguish seller pressure from ordinary overpricing or buyer-finance delays.
 
Back
Top