Dublin studio: as-is offer, inspection contingency and right to walk

NimblePlan

First-time buyer
Established
The price assumed that we would take the Dublin studio as-is. My concern is whether that prevents us from using the separate inspection clause if a serious utility, supply or service defect is discovered.

The seller says that even asking for further information or discussing a credit goes against the offer. I can see why a repair request might be resisted, but that seems different from preserving a right to withdraw. The exact clause may allow inspection only, renegotiation, withdrawal, or some combination of those.

What wording and expiry dates should I have my solicitor check, including any effect on the deposit? I can provide financing proof if the seller needs reassurance, but I do not want that to be treated as surrendering the contingency. I would also like to separate the Irish contractual position from the amount of risk we personally choose to accept.
 
As-is usually addresses condition and repair expectations; an inspection contingency addresses your options after learning more. Whether that distinction works here depends entirely on the actual wording, deadlines and where you are in the Irish purchase process. Send the clause to your solicitor.
 
What does the contingency actually permit: inspection only, withdrawal, renegotiation, or all three? Also, when does it expire? Without those details, the seller’s view of the offer’s “spirit” is less important than the written terms.
 
I would not assume a right to inspect automatically creates a right to demand a credit. You may have agreed to inspect for information and either proceed or walk. Renegotiation could still be attempted, but the seller might simply refuse.
 
That separates the two issues neatly. Legally, ask the Irish solicitor what choices the clause preserves and what puts the deposit at risk. Personally, decide how serious the supply problem must be before you leave, even if no credit is available.
 
Requesting factual information is not the same thing as requesting a repair. Ask the seller to provide whatever they already have about the supply issue, without initially attaching a demand for money.
 
And keep financing proof separate. Showing that funds or mortgage arrangements are progressing may reassure the seller, but it should not be presented as surrendering an inspection condition.
 
Completed comparables matter too. If similar studios with the same limitation sold below fully functional ones, that helps assess whether your as-is price already accounted for it. Asking prices won’t answer that.
 
“Major local supply problem” needs defining. Is it specific to the studio, shared by the building, or affecting the wider area? Those lead to very different repair, resale and lender concerns.
 
I’d ask the inspector to describe the observed issue and its likely scope, while avoiding conclusions outside the inspection. Then your solicitor can pursue the ownership and documentation questions.
 
There is a commercial contradiction in saying “no repairs expected” and later seeking a large credit, even if contractually allowed. That doesn’t make it a breach, but it may explain the seller’s reaction.
 
What is the response deadline? A sound position can still be lost through delay. Get the inspection findings, questions and proposed response to the solicitor before the contingency date rather than negotiating informally past it.
 
For the Irish side, the key is the specific paperwork and stage of the transaction, not general overseas descriptions of an inspection contingency. Ask your solicitor when commitments become binding here and what happens to every sum already paid.
 
Agreed. Advice based on an English purchase process could be misleading in Dublin. The practical framework travels—inspect, price the risk, decide—but the legal effect of the offer and deposit needs an Irish reading.
 
Deposit exposure deserves a direct written answer: if you withdraw for this reason by the stated deadline, what money could be retained, and under which document? Don’t rely on the seller or agent to interpret that for you.
 
Also check for an appraisal gap. Even if you accept the physical issue, a lender’s valuation could come in below your offer. Inspection protection and financing protection are not necessarily interchangeable.
 
Seller motivation may determine whether a credit discussion goes anywhere. A seller prioritising speed might prefer a prompt, modest adjustment; one with alternatives may insist that as-is means no price movement.
 
Put each question in writing and separate it into three columns: property facts, requested documents, and your proposed remedy. That prevents a basic information request being characterised as a disguised repair list.
 
For a studio, don’t stop at the interior. If the issue is building-wide, the useful information may concern common systems, planned works, responsibility and prior correspondence rather than anything visible inside the unit.
 
Completed sales should be genuinely comparable in size, condition, location and building circumstances. A cheaper studio elsewhere does not prove this one is overpriced because of the supply issue.
 
Back
Top