Has your lender seen the inspection concern? You need not dramatise an unconfirmed problem, but you also don’t want to discover after the contingency expires that financing depends on clarification.
Your realistic choices may be narrower than the argument suggests: proceed at the offered price, request a credit the seller can reject, or withdraw if the clause permits. Winning the debate about “spirit” does not improve the property.
If the problem originates outside the studio, a credit based only on an estimated interior repair may be meaningless. First establish who can address it and whether there is any credible path to resolution.
I would ask for dated records rather than verbal assurances. If none exist, that absence becomes part of the risk assessment; it does not automatically prove the worst case.
A clean renegotiation would state the new information, its effect on your decision, and one proposed outcome. Avoid sending a menu of speculative costs, especially if the scope has not been established.
Yes, and be prepared to walk if the requested credit is truly necessary. A demand that you would immediately abandon once refused tells the seller it was just another attempt to reduce the price.
Before choosing a figure, ask what it represents: known work, investigation costs, financing shortfall, or general uncertainty. Credits for an unquantified fear are difficult to defend and may not solve the underlying exposure.
One caveat: the inspection clause might cover physical defects but not a wider supply limitation. That is another reason the exact definition and wording matter more than the label placed on the offer.
Could the sale price already reflect the problem? Compare the listing history and completed comparables, but don’t assume a discount merely because the seller used “as-is.” It may simply signal unwillingness to negotiate repairs.
The valuation issue should be considered independently. A property can be acceptable to you after inspection yet still fail to support the agreed price for financing purposes.
Make a short document list: inspection report, any records about the supply issue, building correspondence, relevant ownership information and the exact accepted-offer terms. Let the solicitor decide which requests are legally appropriate in Ireland.
The seller is allowed to dislike a credit request and reject it. That is different from proving you breached anything. Don’t let emotionally loaded language replace an answer about the written contingency.
I would ask the solicitor one tightly framed question: “What actions can we take before the deadline without losing the protection or exposing the deposit?” That should produce a more useful answer than asking what as-is means generally.
There is also a sequencing problem. Information first, professional interpretation second, decision third. Starting with a credit before establishing the scope invites the seller to treat the whole exercise as price chipping.
True, though waiting for perfect information can consume the response period. The buyer may need to reserve rights by the deadline while unanswered questions remain. The solicitor should handle the wording of that response.
Set a personal ceiling for uncertainty as well as cost. Some buyers can absorb an unresolved building issue; others need predictability for financing or resale. Neither tolerance changes the contract, but it changes the sensible choice.
I disagree that a credit is necessarily inconsistent with as-is. New material information can change the price calculation. The seller can refuse, but the request itself may be commercially rational if the offer assumed no major undisclosed limitation.
That distinction is fair. The weak version is “inspection found ordinary wear, so pay for it.” The stronger version is “inspection revealed a different risk from what our as-is price assumed.” Whether this case fits is still unknown.
Could you ask for extra time rather than money first? If the seller genuinely believes the issue is minor, allowing a short investigation may be easier than immediately agreeing to a credit.
An extension only helps if confirmed properly. An informal “take another day” message may not alter a written deadline. Have the solicitor confirm any change in a form that protects your position.