Dublin villa at €496,800: open 12% below asking after 98 days?

NimblePlan

First-time buyer
Established
I see two choices: offer 12% under the €496,800 asking price and risk ending the conversation, or start closer to the seller’s figure and lose room to reflect the work required. Neither is appealing without reliable completed-sale evidence.

The five-bedroom Dublin villa has been listed for 98 days. I have credible financing and can accommodate the seller on completion, but I do not know whether the long marketing period signals flexibility or patience. I would keep the offer explanation short and ask the agent whether the price has changed and what the updating actually covers.

How would you set a firm but reasonable response deadline? I am willing to adjust price or timing later, but I do not want the initial offer to expose my deposit or remove inspection, financing and valuation protection. A written breakdown of the proposed conditions would help me see where an appraisal gap could fall.
 
A 12% opening discount is aggressive, but not automatically insulting. Present it as the price that works for you given the updating required and limited completed-sale evidence, not as a declaration that the seller is unrealistic. Include proof that financing is credible, your completion flexibility and a clear response deadline. Keep the message short; the strength is in being able to proceed, not in writing a prosecution case against the house.
 
What does “needs updating” cover, and has the asking price changed during those 98 days? Decoration and an old kitchen support a different argument from uncertain roof, wiring or structural work.

Seller motivation matters too. A long listing may indicate flexibility, but it can equally mean the seller is content to wait. I would try to learn whether timing or maximum price is their priority before choosing the tone.
 
I’d be careful about using the 98 days as leverage. The seller already knows how long it has been listed and may not interpret that as weakness. Also avoid double counting: either price the visible updating into the initial offer or reserve the right to seek a repair credit for significant issues discovered later. Doing both for the same worn finishes will make a counterparty less receptive.
 
The unresolved point is the appraisal gap. “Clean financing” does not mean the lender will accept the agreed value. Before offering, decide how much cash, if any, you would add if the valuation comes in low. Do not imply that you will cover an unlimited gap just to make the offer sound stronger.

I would retain financing and inspection protections. If the seller counters, price is not the only lever: completion timing and the scope of later repair requests can be negotiated separately.
 
Work backwards from your actual ceiling. A 12% reduction puts the opening around €437,000, but that number only makes sense if you have room for a realistic counter without exceeding what the property is worth to you.

Send the offer through the normal channel with financing evidence, preferred and alternative completion dates, and a reasonable expiry. Before paying or risking any deposit, have your solicitor explain when it becomes exposed and what happens if financing, valuation, inspection or the legal work produces a problem; the details depend on the transaction documents and Irish process.
 
I would phrase the rationale neutrally: the offer reflects the updating budget, the completed-sale information currently available to you and your own financing limit. Then emphasise that you can document funding and accommodate the seller’s timing.

If they reject it without a counter, ask whether there is a range they would consider rather than immediately bidding against yourself. If they counter, compare the extra price with likely works and any appraisal shortfall. Keep inspection protection; negotiate credits only for meaningful findings that were not already obvious when you set the opening figure.
 
Back
Top