Dublin warehouse at €478,400: closing costs and ownership questions

NimblePlan

First-time buyer
Established
I need to settle the purchase structure before making a commitment, but I cannot compare the options properly until the full cost picture is clear. The property is a Dublin warehouse at about €478,400, and buying personally may look simpler at completion while creating different tax or inheritance consequences later.

What should a local solicitor and tax adviser itemise beyond the transfer, legal and registration costs? I particularly want to identify charges due only at completion, annual property-related bills and any effect that residency could have on a future sale. I would also like them to explain how personal and company ownership would each affect inheritance planning, rather than considering that only after the purchase.
 
One added complication: I have not decided whether the purchase would be made personally or through a company. I’m not looking for a structure recommendation here, but I would like the advisers to compare the same €478,400 purchase on both bases. Should I ask for separate estimates covering completion, the first year of ownership and an eventual sale?
 
Yes, separate those three periods. For completion, request an itemised estimate distinguishing tax, registration, professional fees and third-party expenses rather than accepting one legal-cost figure. Also ask whether “notary” is even the correct budget heading for this transaction or whether the relevant work is included elsewhere. For year one, ask who bills each recurring charge and when.
 
Is the warehouse standalone, or part of a managed development or industrial estate? And will it be vacant or occupied at completion? Those details could affect what recurring charges or completion adjustments need investigating. I would also ask whether the quoted €478,400 is the full amount on which the adviser is basing the tax estimate.
 
I’d resist choosing personal versus company ownership by comparing closing costs alone. A structure that looks cheaper on day one may be less suitable once residency, disposal and inheritance are considered. Give the adviser the expected holding period, intended use and likely exit, then ask for the assumptions behind each comparison in writing.
 
Inheritance planning may be important, but it can also make the first meeting too broad. I’d start with the ownership options that are genuinely available for this warehouse and eliminate unsuitable ones. Then ask targeted questions: are there restrictions on the proposed purchaser, what annual liabilities follow ownership, and what events could trigger tax later?
 
A simple table might keep the advice comparable: amount due before signing, amount due at completion, recurring annual amounts, and costs or taxes that arise only on sale or transfer. Add columns for personal and company ownership. Where an amount cannot yet be quoted, ask what missing fact controls it and who is responsible for confirming that fact.
 
Capital-gains treatment should sit in the future-disposal section, not be mixed into the purchase total. Ask how the answer changes under each proposed ownership structure and residency position. The same applies to inheritance: you need the adviser to state whose residence and circumstances they have assumed, otherwise two apparently different answers may simply be based on different facts.
 
Lena’s questions about the building are essential. If it is within a managed estate, obtain details of recurring charges, what they cover and whether anything is being apportioned at completion. If it is standalone, that does not automatically mean there are no annual property-related liabilities. Either way, ask the solicitor to identify outstanding amounts and the contract’s treatment of them.
 
I would not rely on a percentage contingency as a substitute for an itemised estimate. Keep a contingency, certainly, but first ask both advisers to list exclusions from their quotes. That is often where misunderstandings sit: one person may be discussing only acquisition tax and legal work, while the buyer assumes the figure includes ownership planning and later tax analysis too.
 
Back
Top