Duplex versus detached home in Paris after 103 days of comparing

woodworksAndRoute

Property investor
Established
What changed my view after 103 days was realising that the duplex may not remove maintenance risk at all—it may turn it into shared bills and decisions I cannot control. I’m comparing it with a similarly priced 185 m² detached home in Paris, where I would control the work but carry every irregular cost myself.

The likely use could include letting, so I’m weighing lease length, tenant demand, insurance, energy use, vacancy and resale liquidity as well as upkeep. Which records would you examine before buying? For the duplex I’m thinking about reserve levels, planned building work and past decisions; for the house, I need a realistic schedule for the exterior, structure and services. I’m particularly interested in expenses that are easy to miss during the first-year budget.
 
The duplex is not automatically lower-maintenance; it may simply convert direct maintenance into shared costs and shared decisions. I’d compare what the reserve actually covers, any foreseeable building work and how much control you would have over timing. For the detached home, create a separate allowance for exterior, structure and services rather than treating the absence of shared charges as a saving.
 
Is this mainly for your own use or to let? Mentioning lease length and tenant demand suggests at least some investment purpose. That changes the weighting considerably: a detached home might provide control, but a smaller tenant pool or longer vacancy could outweigh maintenance differences. Also, are the two properties genuinely comparable on energy condition and location, or only on price?
 
I’d model two columns over several years rather than focus on year one. Put regular charges, energy, insurance and routine upkeep in one section; then add irregular building contributions for the duplex and a contingency fund for the house. Add hours of management as a cost too. A house may avoid collective decisions, but arranging every repair yourself is still an exposure.
 
One caveat to the reserve argument: a healthy shared-building reserve does not necessarily make the duplex safer financially. You still need to understand the scale of possible future work and whether other owners could delay decisions. With the house, the bill is entirely yours, but so is the choice of timing. Control has real value if your cash flow can absorb it.
 
I agree with that, though I wouldn’t let tenant demand dominate unless letting is the primary plan. Resale liquidity matters in both cases. The useful question is who the likely next buyer would be: someone wanting 185 m² with less exterior responsibility, or someone specifically paying for independence and control? Those are different pools, even at the same current price.
 
For insurance, compare like with like rather than just the annual premium. Clarify what sits with the individual duplex owner, what sits with the shared building and what remains your responsibility after an incident. For the detached home, ask for a quotation based on the actual property rather than a generic house estimate. Jurisdiction and the individual policy terms matter here.
 
My practical next step would be a stress test: one prolonged vacancy, one sharp energy-cost increase and one major irregular repair in each scenario. Then repeat it assuming resale takes longer than expected. If one option still feels manageable without optimistic rent or resale assumptions, that is probably the stronger choice. The biggest overlooked cost may be management friction—collective for the duplex, entirely personal for the detached home.
 
Back
Top