Early S$1.702m offer, but agent wants to act for the buyer too

nia.reed

Mortgage adviser
First time posting. We have received an early offer of about S$1,702,000, and our listing agent says they can also work with the buyer. The speed is appealing, but I cannot see how our confidential position and the buyer’s negotiation remain independent.

Before entertaining this, I want clarity on whether such an arrangement is permitted in Singapore, the fee basis, who the named contact is for each side, and exactly how the conflict would be disclosed in writing. I also want to know how the buyer was qualified, how competing offers would be handled, and what support we would receive if this offer fell through. What mattered most once you got past the attractive headline number?
 
I would push back until the roles are unambiguous. Convenience does not answer who receives your negotiating limit or whose interests guide advice on price and conditions. Ask for the proposed arrangement and all fees in writing, then independently confirm the Singapore position with the relevant regulator or your conveyancing lawyer. Also ask whether you may appoint separate representation without disrupting the offer or changing your existing fee.
 
Separate representation is cleaner, but I would not reject the buyer solely because the agent suggested this. Keep the offer alive while setting boundaries: written conflict disclosure, evidence of buyer qualification, a clear process for other offers, response-time expectations, and one named person accountable if the deal falls through. Since marketing began only recently, also confirm what photography and listing work is included in the fee—you may need it again if this buyer does not proceed.
 
Back
Top