Edinburgh completion after several rejected offers

fresh_stone

Tenant planning to buy
Finally reached completion on an Edinburgh property after several offers and a much longer document process than expected. Two lessons stand out: keep cash aside for financing costs, and once an offer is accepted, ask who is responsible for every next step rather than assuming someone else is chasing it.

The rejected offers were useful data too. Each one sharpened my sense of what I would compromise on and where I should stop bidding. What did your first completed transaction teach you that no beginner guide covered?
 
The final document week taught me that “nearly done” is not a moving date. Lender timing, signatures and funds all have to line up, and one loose end can disrupt removals or notice on a rental. I’d now keep moving arrangements flexible until the people handling the transaction confirm the timetable.
 
I’d go further on preserving cash: don’t treat completion as the point when the contingency fund becomes available for furniture. Inspection findings can look manageable on paper, then several small repairs compete for attention at once.

Was most of your delay caused by lender timing or by documents moving between parties? For future offers, I’d keep a simple list of each outstanding item, who has it and when it was last chased. That makes silence easier to question without assuming the worst.
 
Back
Top