€1,017,000 Utrecht apartment: buy or keep renting with high association fees?

yard.steady

Homeowner
Established
I’m comparing my current rental with a similar Utrecht apartment priced around €1,017,000. The combined mortgage, tax, maintenance and association dues would be well above my rent, although buying would build equity. I may also move within five to seven years.

For a coastal home in a shared building, how would you weigh that flexibility against purchase and resale costs? I’m particularly concerned about rising building fees, insurance exposure and whether the shared reserves are sufficient.
 
With a five-to-seven-year horizon, I would not treat equity building as the deciding factor. Separate mortgage principal from the true costs, then add buying and selling expenses, dues, maintenance, insurance and the return forgone on your cash. Compare that with rent over the same period.

The association’s maintenance plan and reserves matter enormously here. A low reserve can turn today’s fee into a special contribution later.
 
What are you actually buying in exchange for the higher monthly outlay: more space, better energy performance, a location you cannot rent in, or simply ownership? Also, would moving mean selling immediately or trying to let it? Resale liquidity and tenant demand are different risks, and letting may bring rules and management work that the basic buy-versus-rent calculation misses.
 
The reserve position is the missing piece for me. Before deciding, I’ll compare the association’s planned work, current reserves and recent fee history rather than assuming the present dues are stable. I would probably sell if I moved; becoming a landlord just to avoid selling would add vacancy risk and management workload that I don’t particularly want.
 
The detail that changes my view is your intention to sell if you move. That makes the association’s current reserve balance only one part of the decision, because coastal exposure can increase maintenance and insurance costs while a major project can also make resale slower.

I would still examine the planned works and fee history, but then stress-test one concrete event—for example, a large shared exterior repair shortly before a sale. Better energy performance inside the apartment would not offset that kind of building-level expense.

At €1,017,000, buying should make sense across the five-to-seven-year window without depending on rapid appreciation. Comparing several exit dates, as well as the cost of an extra selling period, seems a reasonable middle ground between rejecting the purchase outright and trusting today’s reserves.
 
Given that you expect to sell rather than let, model three exit dates: year five, six and seven. Use cautious resale assumptions and include a slower-sale scenario with several extra months of ownership costs. Then compare the unrecoverable ownership costs—not the full mortgage payment—with rent.

If buying still requires optimistic resale growth or unchanged association fees, renting is buying flexibility. Have the property and association papers reviewed locally, since Dutch tax, lending and building-specific details can materially alter the numbers.
 
Back
Top