€40,480 left after closing on a €1.219m Lisbon condo—too thin?

fair_bridge

First-time buyer
Established
Roughly €40,480 must cover every post-purchase surprise as well as the planned expenses, and closing is only 11 days away. The property is a four-bedroom Lisbon condo costing about €1,219,000, so that remaining cash suddenly feels less substantial than it did when the offer was accepted.

I am waiting to see whether the inspection identifies work that cannot be deferred. In the meantime, should I ring-fence an emergency amount first, then deduct moving expenses, the first mortgage payment and urgent repairs before spending anything on furniture? I am excited about the purchase, but I am wondering whether the sensible consequence of this calculation is to choose a property further below my limit.
 
I’d allocate it in that order, not by equal percentages: protect an emergency fund first, reserve the known moving and payment costs, then fund only inspection items that prevent damage or affect daily use. Furniture comes last and can be bought room by room. The key is deciding what part of the €40,480 is genuinely untouchable.
 
One missing detail: what will your essential monthly outgoings be after purchase, including the mortgage and condo service charges? A cash figure alone cannot show how many months of breathing room you have. Also check when the first mortgage payment and service-charge payment actually fall, rather than assuming both start later.
 
Don’t treat every inspection finding as an immediate repair. Ask for findings to be separated into urgent problems, work that should be monitored, and cosmetic items. A long report can look frightening while containing plenty that can wait. Conversely, one issue with a risk of further damage can change the whole calculation.
 
€40,480 could be comfortable for someone with low monthly commitments and alarming for someone whose mortgage absorbs most available income. I would work backwards from the emergency fund you need after paying the mover, first mortgage payment, insurance excess and any urgent inspection items. Whatever remains is the real furnishing budget.
 
I’d go further: furniture should not have a meaningful allocation before closing. Bring what you already own and buy only essentials at first. A 4-bed condo creates pressure to fill empty rooms, but empty rooms cost nothing. Repairs, service charges or an underestimated closing expense won’t wait because a spare bedroom needs a finished look.
 
I agree about delaying furniture, but I wouldn’t let an austere first year become the only acceptable plan. Set aside a modest amount for making the main living and sleeping spaces functional, then pause. The emotional swing 11 days before closing is understandable; it doesn’t by itself mean the purchase is wrong.
 
Make one list now with three columns: amount, due date and whether it is unavoidable. Include moving, the first mortgage payment, service charges, insurance and every inspection item. Then mark repairs as “before moving,” “within three months” or “later.” If the unavoidable total eats into the emergency fund you set, that gives you a concrete reason to reconsider rather than reacting to every compromise equally.
 
Also test the estimate rather than relying on the headline €40,480. Ask what closing costs are still estimates, whether any service charges are due around completion, and what insurance excess you would need available if something happened soon after moving. I’d keep a small separate contingency for amounts that are simply higher than quoted.
 
The price-to-buffer comparison alone is not decisive; ongoing affordability and the inspection matter more. Still, at this stage I would want two numbers written down: cash remaining immediately after every known payment, and cash remaining after urgent first-year work. If the second number falls below your chosen emergency reserve, buying below the maximum is the calmer option—not a failure to stretch far enough.
 
Back
Top