Evaluating agent fees and service after 71 days on the Chicago market

woodworksAndWorkshop

Buyer
Established
My Chicago warehouse has now had 71 days on the market, and I’m considering a change rather than drifting along. I have several agent proposals for an expected sale around $280,000, but their fee structures and inclusions differ substantially.

The cheapest leaves out several transaction tasks. The highest includes photography, buyer qualification, negotiation and closing coordination. Before choosing, I want questions that produce measurable answers rather than sales talk. Should I focus on recent comparable sales, typical response time, how offers are presented, fall-through experience, or the name of the person actually handling the file after listing? I also want to understand how each would disclose potential conflicts. What would Chicago members ask, and does 71 days without a result change which service is worth paying for?
 
First, convert every proposal into an estimated dollar cost at $280,000 and put the included work beside it. Then ask each agent for relevant recent warehouse comparables and an explanation of why those properties are genuinely comparable. I’d also request a written timeline for responding to inquiries and offers. “Full service” means little unless you know who performs each task and how progress is reported.
 
What is the fee actually based on: the final sale price, a fixed amount, or something else? Also ask when it becomes payable and whether any payment to another broker is included in the quoted figure. Those details can make the apparently cheapest proposal less straightforward.

For photography, get the deliverables in writing rather than accepting the word “included.” The same applies to closing coordination—does that mean scheduling and updates, or active follow-through when a deal starts wobbling?
 
I’d push back on using fall-through rate as a headline measure. With a small number of warehouse transactions, one failed deal could make the figure look terrible without telling you much. Ask for the reasons deals failed and what the agent did next.

The named contact matters more to me. Will the person pitching the listing answer buyers and negotiate, or will it move to someone else? Ask who covers absences and what response time they will commit to once an offer arrives.
 
Since the property has already had 71 days of exposure, I would ask each candidate what they would change, not merely what services they include. Their answer should connect pricing, presentation, buyer qualification and offer handling rather than defaulting to “more marketing.”

A simple comparison sheet could have rows for total fee at the expected price, photography deliverables, qualification steps, inquiry response target, offer presentation method, failed-deal follow-up, named contact and conflict disclosure. Have each agent fill in the same blanks. Any conflict language should be discussed carefully because the applicable duties and permitted arrangements depend on the engagement and local rules.
 
This has helped me separate price from scope. I’m going back to each agent with one identical template based on the categories sbakker listed, plus a request to explain what they would do differently after the first 71 days. I’ll also ask for the fee in dollars at a $280,000 sale and written clarification of who handles inquiries, negotiation and closing issues. I’m no longer inclined to choose the lowest proposal until the exclusions and handoffs are clear.
 
Back
Top