Finally closed on a studio in Munich

Once my offer was accepted, every document and moving decision seemed to acquire its own deadline. The trade-off was whether to coordinate the move immediately or keep enough flexibility and cash for delays, fees and repairs after completion.

I have now bought the Munich studio, following several unsuccessful offers. What helped was assigning each remaining task to a named person and checking what they needed before the next handoff. The failed attempts also became useful once I recorded what had changed—price, conditions, financing readiness and timing—rather than simply raising the next bid.

For those who have completed a first purchase, which part between acceptance and closing caught you out? I’m happy to explain how my final week unfolded, including where responsibility became unclear.
 
The lesson I’d take from this is that rejected offers are only useful if you record what changed between attempts: price, conditions, financing readiness or simply timing. Otherwise it is easy to draw the wrong conclusion and just keep bidding higher.

Did you receive any meaningful feedback on the rejected offers, or was the useful data mainly your own comparison of them?
 
One more specific question: during the final document week, was there one obvious bottleneck, or was it several small handoffs where nobody was clearly responsible? The second type seems harder to anticipate because every individual task can look minor.
 
I’d separate “cash for rental regulation” from cash for fees and repairs. Regulation may affect what you can do with the studio or the income assumptions, but it is not itself a repair bill. Combining everything into one reserve can hide whether the purchase remains affordable under a less flexible rental plan.

That distinction also depends on the intended use of the property, which the opening doesn’t specify.
 
A practical next step for anyone at accepted-offer stage is a single list of every outstanding item: document or task, responsible person, dependency and target date. Update it whenever something moves rather than relying on separate email chains.

I’d also keep the repair reserve separate from moving money and possible closing costs. If inspection findings exist, classify them into urgent, soon and optional before deciding how much cash is genuinely available.
 
The final stretch was closer to Beatriz’s second scenario: the document process took longer than expected, and the main lesson was to make ownership of each next step explicit rather than assume it was understood. I would now ask for the responsible person and next action immediately after an offer is accepted.

On the rejected offers, the useful part was comparing them and improving the next attempt, not treating rejection as proof that price alone was the problem.

And yes, Yuki’s distinction is fair. I should have phrased that more carefully: cash for repairs and unexpected fees is one issue; keeping financial flexibility because of rental regulation is another.
 
Back
Top