A few days before completion, I had to decide whether to lock in the move or leave some flexibility in case the chain slipped. Booking early was cheaper and easier, but protecting the cash and avoiding a move tied to an uncertain date mattered more.
The Birmingham townhouse has now completed. Earlier rejected offers taught me something about the seller’s position, but the difficult part came after acceptance: working out whether the agent, lender, solicitor, buyer or seller was holding the next action. A simple task list proved more useful than general assurances that everything was progressing.
I also treated the purchase price as only part of the budget and left money untouched for the building. How did other first-time buyers turn inspection findings into a realistic post-completion reserve? I’m particularly interested in whether you costed known jobs individually or kept a broader contingency.
The Birmingham townhouse has now completed. Earlier rejected offers taught me something about the seller’s position, but the difficult part came after acceptance: working out whether the agent, lender, solicitor, buyer or seller was holding the next action. A simple task list proved more useful than general assurances that everything was progressing.
I also treated the purchase price as only part of the budget and left money untouched for the building. How did other first-time buyers turn inspection findings into a realistic post-completion reserve? I’m particularly interested in whether you costed known jobs individually or kept a broader contingency.