Financing failed: how should we prepare the Seoul relisting?

ezra.hope

Property investor
The buyer was unable to complete the financing, and I hesitate to put our Seoul property straight back on the market without understanding why. The transaction had already been progressing for several weeks, while the inspection itself did not cause the collapse.

Future buyers will ask about the return to market. Should we relist with a brief factual explanation while updating the file, or pause until we can establish whether the problem was the buyer’s finances or the property valuation? I am also considering how much weight to give financing proof, deposit exposure and tightly defined repair credits when comparing the next offers.
 
I would refresh the documents immediately but not necessarily delay the listing while doing so. Give future buyers a short, factual explanation: the prior buyer’s financing failed, not the inspection. Then compare offers on financial reliability and conditions, not price alone.
 
Do you know whether financing failed because of the buyer’s position or because the property did not support the required loan amount? That distinction matters. If there was an appraisal gap, relisting unchanged could produce the same result with another highly leveraged buyer.
 
I would not lower the asking price solely because one buyer failed to finance. First look at recently completed comparables, then require clearer financing evidence before accepting another offer. A lower offer can still be weak if it depends on an optimistic loan amount.
 
Also define what “stronger proof” means before offers arrive. Proof of available funds and an indication that a lender has assessed the buyer answer different questions. I’d set a firm response deadline so there is time to compare the full terms rather than accepting the first reassuring document.
 
There is a case for a brief pause. An immediate return with identical photos, wording and documents can make buyers assume the seller is under pressure. Even a modest refresh gives you a clean explanation for the relaunch, although waiting too long has its own cost.
 
Be careful about presenting the old inspection as protection for the next buyer. It may help explain that no defect ended the deal, but a new buyer may still want an independent inspection. Keep that right separate from the financing safeguards you add.
 
Have completed Seoul comparables moved since you first listed? If they still support the price, david-chen’s point is stronger. If they do not, the failed financing may be exposing a pricing or appraisal problem rather than merely an unreliable buyer.
 
On reflection, I’d also avoid treating the highest offer as the default winner. If two offers are reasonably close, the one with less dependence on financing, a realistic timetable and fewer unresolved conditions may be worth more in practice.
 
That depends on seller motivation too. Someone who needs a predictable completion date may rationally take less. Someone able to wait can preserve the price and test another financed buyer. The right concession is the smallest one that addresses your actual timing risk.
 
Before relisting, make a simple offer comparison sheet: price, funds available, financing still required, inspection terms, requested repair credits, proposed dates and response deadline. It prevents a large headline number from hiding several ways the transaction could fail.
 
I’d add deposit exposure to that sheet, but not assume a larger deposit automatically solves matters. What happens to it after a failed transaction depends on the contract and South Korean rules, so the wording needs careful local attention before you rely on it as protection.
 
Repair credits can also blur the real price. If the earlier inspection raised nothing that ended the deal, don’t volunteer a blanket credit just to make the relisting look attractive. Consider any requested credit alongside the buyer’s loan needs and effective net offer.
 
The response deadline deserves emphasis. Too short and serious financed buyers may submit incomplete evidence; too long and you lose momentum. Ask for the same core information from everyone by the same deadline, then clarify gaps before choosing.
 
What feedback did you receive during the original marketing period? If several viewers questioned price or condition, that matters more than the failed buyer’s explanation alone. If interest was solid and financing was the only confirmed failure, a pre-emptive reduction seems harder to justify.
 
For the relisting description, I would resist overexplaining. A concise statement that the prior transaction ended because the buyer did not complete financing is clearer than a defensive account of every stage. More detail can be provided consistently when a serious buyer asks.
 
Thanks all. The only confirmed reason given to us was the buyer’s inability to satisfy financing; we do not want to speculate beyond that. We’re refreshing the time-sensitive documents and checking completed comparables, but we won’t automatically reduce the price. Our next comparison will weigh financing evidence, conditions and timing together.
 
That sounds measured. I’d prepare the one-sentence explanation now and make sure everyone handling enquiries uses it. Inconsistent versions of why the sale failed could create more suspicion than the relisting itself.
 
When reviewing the next financed offer, ask how any appraisal gap would be covered rather than merely whether the buyer expects approval. If extra funds would be needed, evidence for those funds is relevant. Keep the question neutral and apply it consistently.
 
Your plan covers the main weakness without overreacting. I’d relaunch once the refreshed material and comparison sheet are ready, state the financing failure plainly, preserve inspection rights, and avoid granting price or repair concessions before seeing the complete terms. Reliability is a package, not one document.
 
Back
Top