Finland warehouse purchase: costs beyond the first estimate

WideRoof

Property investor
Established
I’m deciding whether the budget for a Helsinki warehouse at about €648,600 is realistic. My first checklist has transfer tax, registration and possible legal or notary fees, but I’m less clear about costs tied to the ownership structure and recurring property charges. I also want to understand whether residency, eventual capital-gains treatment or inheritance planning should affect how the purchase is structured. What was easiest to miss in an initial estimate, and what should I ask a licensed Finnish adviser to price explicitly?
 
The first thing I would establish is exactly what is being acquired: the real estate itself or shares in an entity connected to the warehouse. Don’t let the adviser provide one generic total. Ask for a written estimate based on the actual structure, showing each payment, who receives it, when it falls due and which figures remain uncertain.
 
Also ask whether the €648,600 figure includes every tax component that applies to this particular sale. What is the land arrangement—owned with the building or held under a separate lease? That distinction could change the recurring-cost picture. I’d request the previous annual charge statements and confirmation of any unpaid amounts rather than relying on an agent’s summary.
 
I would not automatically carry a “notary fee” as a fixed Finnish closing item just because it appears on international checklists. Have local counsel identify what formalities this transaction actually needs. Conversely, don’t focus so tightly on closing that you miss company-level charges, property-related annual bills or maintenance obligations that may sit behind the ownership structure.
 
A practical way to organise this is two tables. The first covers purchase-day and registration costs, with the amount or calculation basis, payer and deadline. The second covers the first full year: property charges, possible land payments, insurance, administration and maintenance. Then ask separately for an exit note covering capital gains and how the answer might change with residence or buyer structure.
 
Inheritance planning deserves its own question rather than being folded into the closing estimate. The cheapest structure on purchase day may not be the simplest one to hold, transfer or sell later. I’d take the proposed ownership structure to a Finnish tax professional, explain the buyer’s residence and intended holding period, and ask them to flag which conclusions depend on another country’s rules.
 
Back
Top