First Chicago duplex finally closed—lessons from the delays

OrlaIves

Buyer
Established
I’ve now closed on my first Chicago duplex. I can trace why some earlier offers failed, but the paperwork delays are still harder to untangle because responsibility moved between several people.

The purchase taught me to keep more cash available after closing for service charges, moving expenses and inspection items. Next time I’ll also maintain a written list of each outstanding task, its deadline and the person responsible. I’m recording the price and terms of the rejected offers too, so I can judge whether they contain useful evidence rather than automatically bidding higher. What did your first completed purchase reveal that the usual guides overlooked?
 
Keeping cash available is the big one. A repair reserve can disappear quickly if inspection items, moving costs and early maintenance all land together. I’d also avoid treating the closing date as a guaranteed moving date until the lender and final documents are actually ready.
 
Were the document delays mainly on the lender side, or was responsibility unclear between several people? That distinction would change the lesson for the next offer. I’d push back slightly on rejected offers always being useful data: they only help if you record the price, terms and likely reason each one lost rather than simply raising the next bid.
 
The practical takeaway is to make one shared timeline for the final week: lender items, document signatures, funds, keys and moving arrangements. Keep the inspection findings beside it, split into urgent work and work that can wait. That makes it easier to protect the reserve instead of spending cash on cosmetic jobs while a duplex repair is still pending.
 
Back
Top