First country home purchase complete — lessons from Rotterdam

Completion did not stop the bills. The real concern was having too little cash left when several ordinary costs arrived together after my first country-home purchase in Rotterdam.

The paperwork also taught me to keep one dated checklist. Each item should show who is responsible, when it is due and what confirmation marks it as finished. During the final week, knowing that a document was outstanding was not enough if I could not tell whether I, the lender or another party needed to act.

Next time I would set the post-closing reserve from the combined exposure rather than one imagined disaster. A modest inspection repair may be fine on its own, for example, but not when it coincides with moving costs, routine maintenance and an unexpected fee. I would fund that reserve first and postpone optional purchases if necessary.

The offers that failed were useful in one respect: they clarified my priorities and limit. What cost or unfinished task surprised others between acceptance and completion?
 
Keeping cash back is sensible, although I would not let an undefined fear of repairs turn into an endlessly growing reserve. Was your conclusion driven by inspection findings, or by the combined effect of maintenance, moving and unexpected fees?

Also, what made the document process longer: lender timing or uncertainty over who needed to act next?
 
More the combined exposure than a single repair. Inspection findings matter, but they should sit beside moving costs, routine maintenance and fees rather than being treated as the entire post-closing budget.

On the delay, I would not pin it neatly on one party. The recurring problem was knowing that something remained outstanding without always knowing who was waiting on whom. Next time I would keep one dated list of every remaining item, its owner and the confirmation needed to mark it complete.
 
A shared list helps, but it can also create false comfort if the dates are assumptions. Lender timing is the obvious example: “submitted” is not the same as “finished.” I would separate each item into sent, received, accepted and complete, then ask what could still prevent the scheduled closing. That is more tedious, but the final week is exactly when vague status updates become expensive for moving coordination.
 
The point about rejected offers being data needs one caveat: buyers often do not know the full terms of the accepted offer, so the sale price alone can teach the wrong lesson. I would record only what you can observe—property condition, location, asking level and your own ceiling. The useful outcome is refining your criteria, not chasing the next property harder because the last one got away.
 
Agreed with Daan. A rejection should refine the search, not automatically raise the budget.

I would also split the available cash into four lines before making another offer: purchase funds, known closing costs, moving costs and an untouched repair reserve. That makes Adrian’s lesson actionable and exposes any plan that only works if the documents finish on time and nothing needs attention after the move.
 
Back
Top