First Delhi villa completed after several rejected offers

Keeping the final steps organised was harder than choosing the villa. My first purchase in Delhi is now complete, but several offers were rejected along the way and the paperwork continued longer than I had planned.

The rejected bids helped clarify where the price needed to be. Once an offer was accepted, the more important lesson was to assign every outstanding document, payment and follow-up to a named person rather than assume someone else was handling it.

I would also keep more cash available after completion. Insurance, early property costs, inspection-related work and unexpected fees can all arrive before finances have settled into a routine. For those who have completed a first purchase, what caught you off guard during the final stages or immediately afterward?
 
One thing I’d do differently is make a simple list for the final document week: each outstanding item, who is handling it, and when it is due. Too many conversations become vague once everyone assumes another person is following up. I’m curious whether others found lender timing, inspection findings, or moving arrangements caused the biggest last-minute problem.
 
The inspection deserves its own cash reserve, separate from moving money. A finding may not be serious enough to stop the purchase or persuade the seller to adjust terms, but it can still become an early repair. Did your longer document process delay your move, or were you able to keep those timelines separate?
 
I agree about keeping cash, although I wouldn’t treat insurance and repairs as one general leftover fund. The timing differs: some payments need attention around completion, while repairs may be prioritised after possession. Splitting them on paper makes it harder to spend the repair reserve on moving costs.
 
Your point about ownership of tasks is the practical one. I’d make a completion list covering documents, lender actions if applicable, insurance, funds, possession arrangements, utilities, moving, and any inspection items. Put a name and target date beside each line, then confirm what “done” means. The exact document sequence can vary in Delhi, so assumptions are risky even when an offer has been accepted.
 
The caveat on rejected offers is that they are only useful if you record why each one failed. Price, terms, timing, and seller preference are different signals. Otherwise it is easy to conclude that every rejection means “offer more.” I’d also keep a small category for unexpected fees rather than letting them quietly reduce the repair reserve.
 
Back
Top