The developer’s timetable kept moving forward, but I was hesitant to treat completion as the only remaining task. I have now completed on my first new-build flat following several unsuccessful offers and a document stage that took longer than expected.
The biggest lesson was to keep cash beyond the purchase funds. Property tax, moving costs, setup and a reserve for early repairs can all arrive close together. I also wish I had made a written list as soon as the offer was accepted, showing every outstanding item, who was responsible and when it was needed. The final week required much more chasing than I had allowed for.
Earlier offer rejections gave me some clues about price and terms, although not always a clear explanation. For those who have completed a first purchase, which cost, handoff or timing issue caught you unprepared?
The biggest lesson was to keep cash beyond the purchase funds. Property tax, moving costs, setup and a reserve for early repairs can all arrive close together. I also wish I had made a written list as soon as the offer was accepted, showing every outstanding item, who was responsible and when it was needed. The final week required much more chasing than I had allowed for.
Earlier offer rejections gave me some clues about price and terms, although not always a clear explanation. For those who have completed a first purchase, which cost, handoff or timing issue caught you unprepared?