First Paris villa completed after several rejected offers

The Paris villa purchase is now complete, and I understand the costs much better than I did at the start. What remained unclear almost to the end was who was responsible for each document and when the lender needed it. That became especially important during the final week.

The price itself was only part of the cash requirement. I also had to leave room for rental-regulation costs, extra fees that surfaced during the process and future repairs. My earlier unsuccessful bids did help me adjust, although the feedback was not always detailed enough to show whether price or timing made the difference.

For those who have completed a first purchase, what practical lesson only became obvious near the end?
 
The handoffs after acceptance are where a simple responsibility list can help: task, person responsible, deadline and anything blocking it. Lender timing and moving arrangements can otherwise depend on a document nobody realises is still outstanding.

Did the inspection uncover anything that changed the amount you kept for repairs, or had you already chosen the reserve before completion?
 
Draw the wrong lesson from a failed bid and the next offer can be weaker, not stronger. I would record the asking price, amount offered, conditions, timing and any explanation from the seller. Without that context, the rejection alone says very little.

The responsibility list suggested above is useful, provided every date is checked again as completion approaches. If one document slips, the lender and moving schedule may both need to change.
 
Back
Top