First post from Johannesburg

eli.gale

Property investor
Established
I have narrowed my Johannesburg search to small multifamily properties, which has raised a more specific question about data. I need sources that separate asking figures from completed transactions rather than blending the two.

My model also needs to account for financing, transaction costs, renovation and ongoing management. I joined because comparisons with other markets can expose assumptions that seem normal locally. Which discussions on the South Africa board would be a useful starting point, and what should I check about a dataset’s coverage or reporting delay before using it?
 
Welcome. I’d start with the local board, especially discussions that break a purchase into price, financing, transfer-related costs, renovation and ongoing management. Cross-market comparisons can be useful, but completed-price data is only comparable when you understand what each dataset records and how delayed it is. Are you looking at your first purchase, or refining a model for properties you already assess?
 
I’d also ask how small “small multifamily” is in your search. A building with a few units can have very different management and renovation issues from a larger block. Before choosing a dataset, write down the exact figures your model needs: completed price, date, unit count, condition, rent assumptions and financing terms. That makes it easier to spot when a source is interesting but not actually usable.
 
One caveat: I wouldn’t make completed prices the first stop. They tell you where a transaction ended, but not necessarily the property’s condition, tenancy situation or work required. Two apparently similar buildings may not be comparable. Legal-checklist and property-management threads could be more valuable initially because they reveal costs and constraints that a headline sale figure misses.
 
A practical route is to build one sample deal in a spreadsheet, then use the board to challenge each line rather than searching for a single definitive thread. Separate purchase costs, mortgage assumptions, renovation, vacancies, management and a contingency. Keep advertised and completed prices in different columns. For South African legal and lending details, confirm current requirements with appropriately qualified local professionals, since forum comparisons across countries can easily blur important differences.
 
Back
Top