Completing on my first Manchester studio was a relief, but the last week of paperwork was the part I had underestimated. Lender timing, documents and moving arrangements all depended on one another, so a delay in one place affected everything else.
I also learned not to treat completion as permission to spend the remaining cash. Inspection items, repairs and energy-performance improvements become actual bills quickly, and keeping a separate reserve made more sense than stretching for extras immediately.
Several earlier offers were rejected, but they helped clarify my price limit and the compromises I could live with. For other first-time buyers, which caused the biggest problem after acceptance: lender delays, surprise fees, moving logistics or repairs that needed a larger reserve than expected?
I also learned not to treat completion as permission to spend the remaining cash. Inspection items, repairs and energy-performance improvements become actual bills quickly, and keeping a separate reserve made more sense than stretching for extras immediately.
Several earlier offers were rejected, but they helped clarify my price limit and the compromises I could live with. For other first-time buyers, which caused the biggest problem after acceptance: lender delays, surprise fees, moving logistics or repairs that needed a larger reserve than expected?