First-time buyer in Amsterdam: is €37,720 enough cash after closing?

wren_taxes

First-time buyer
€37,720 feels like a thin margin. My specific concern is discovering urgent work soon after completing on the 3-bed Amsterdam townhouse, which would cost about €1,021,000.

That cash figure is after the deposit and estimated closing costs, but moving, the first mortgage payment and any inspection priorities still have to come from somewhere. I can delay furnishing rooms and cosmetic jobs; I am less comfortable relying on the same pot for a household emergency and a water or electrical problem.

How would you set the untouchable amount based on monthly essential spending, then cap the money available for the move and repairs? I also need to confirm whether there are service charges and allow for the insurance excess. If the numbers only work by spending nearly all the reserve, I would prefer a slightly cheaper purchase.
 
I wouldn’t treat the €37,720 as one general pot. My starting point would be to keep at least half completely untouched for household emergencies, then use the rest for moving and genuinely urgent work. Furniture would come last and could be bought room by room.

Also make sure your calculation covers the first mortgage payment rather than assuming all post-closing cash is available for the house.
 
The missing figure is your monthly essential spending after the purchase. An emergency fund should relate to how many months it can support you, not just the €1,021,000 purchase price.

Does the townhouse have any service charges, and have you allowed for the insurance excess? I’d also want to know whether the inspection findings are cosmetic, preventative or urgent before assigning money to repairs.
 
I’m not convinced that automatically protecting half is enough of a plan. A costly property can expose you to repairs that don’t fit neatly into a percentage, while a strong inspection might justify holding less in the repair bucket.

Ask the inspector to separate anything requiring prompt attention from work that can wait a year or more. Then price the urgent items before deciding whether €37,720 feels comfortable. Paint, spare-bedroom furniture and decorative work can wait.
 
That’s fair—the half figure was only a conservative starting point. A better approach is two separate reserves: enough cash for a chosen number of months of essential living costs, plus a property contingency based on the inspection.

I’d make a line-by-line list covering moving, the first mortgage payment, insurance excess, any applicable service charges and urgent repairs. Whatever remains is the furniture budget, not the other way around.
 
One more practical test: recalculate the purchase as if the inspection produces one unwelcome but manageable repair and the move costs more than expected. If that scenario forces you to use the emergency fund immediately, buying slightly below your maximum is probably the calmer choice. If the emergency reserve remains intact, the €37,720 has a clearer purpose rather than being just a reassuring headline number.
 
Back
Top