First-time buyer in Cape Town: how much cash buffer after closing

bikesAndEcho

Homeowner
Established
Having an offer accepted changed my view of the spare cash more than I expected. After repeatedly losing to simpler bids, we are now buying a four-bedroom detached home in Cape Town for about ZAR 12,650,000. Once the deposit and expected closing costs are covered, around ZAR 600,600 should remain.

That amount still has to cover moving, the first mortgage payment, an insurance excess and anything the inspection says cannot wait. Furniture can be delayed, but a water leak or electrical safety repair cannot. How much would you ring-fence before allocating money to known work? I am also checking whether there are estate or shared-service charges and will ask for the actual payment schedule.
 
I would work from essential monthly spending rather than the house price. Ring-fence several months of mortgage and normal living costs first, plus the first payment if it is not already in your completion calculation. Then reserve known moving costs and an insurance excess. Inspection-related safety or water issues come before furniture; empty rooms can stay empty.
 
The missing piece is the inspection report. ZAR 600,600 can look comfortable until there are two or three jobs that cannot wait. Also, is the property completely standalone, or are there estate or shared service charges? Ask for the actual payment schedule rather than treating every cost as monthly.
 
I would not automatically hold the entire remainder as untouchable emergency cash. A detached home may need preventative work that is cheaper to address promptly than after it deteriorates. Once the inspection arrives, separate urgent repairs, sensible first-year maintenance and cosmetic wishes. The first two deserve funding; furniture upgrades generally do not.
 
That distinction helps. I was mentally combining repairs, improvements and furniture into one large post-closing category, which made the buffer seem smaller than it is. I will keep the emergency portion separate, confirm the first mortgage payment and any service charges, then use the inspection to make an urgent/first-year/cosmetic list. Furniture can be phased room by room.
 
Also budget the move as a short process, not just a removal-company invoice: packing materials, cleaning and small setup purchases can accumulate. I would give moving its own capped allowance so it cannot quietly consume the repair reserve. Keep some accessible cash for the first few weeks rather than placing every spare rand somewhere difficult to reach.
 
One caveat: do not assume an inspection will identify every early expense. Appliances can fail and insurance claims can still leave an excess. I would preserve a general house contingency even after allocating money to the report’s findings. Get repair estimates where possible before deciding that the remaining amount is excessive.
 
A simple order may prevent double-counting: emergency fund; first mortgage payment and confirmed charges; moving allowance; insurance excess; quoted urgent repairs; unquoted contingency; then furniture. Put a date beside each item and reassess after the first few months. The last category should absorb surprises, not the emergency fund.
 
Back
Top