If I commit too much cash at closing, an inspection item, insurance excess or ordinary moving expense could leave me using credit immediately after buying. The alternative is to stay well below my limit and possibly delay a purchase that is otherwise affordable.
The property under consideration is a 2-bed new-build flat in Chicago at about $165,000. My estimate leaves around $42,000 after the deposit and expected closing costs, although I still need to allow for anything found during inspection, the move, basic furniture and first-year repairs.
Rather than treating the choice as buy or do not buy, I am considering setting aside a non-negotiable emergency reserve first, then a separate amount for moving and inspection findings. Furniture could be bought gradually after that. How would you divide the cash, and which unpaid or prepaid insurance and closing items should I verify before deciding that $42,000 is genuinely available?
The property under consideration is a 2-bed new-build flat in Chicago at about $165,000. My estimate leaves around $42,000 after the deposit and expected closing costs, although I still need to allow for anything found during inspection, the move, basic furniture and first-year repairs.
Rather than treating the choice as buy or do not buy, I am considering setting aside a non-negotiable emergency reserve first, then a separate amount for moving and inspection findings. Furniture could be bought gradually after that. How would you divide the cash, and which unpaid or prepaid insurance and closing items should I verify before deciding that $42,000 is genuinely available?