First-time buyer in Chicago: how much cash should remain after closing?

OrlaIves

Buyer
Established
The figure that changed my view was the cash remaining at closing. On a five-bedroom detached home in Chicago costing about $1,085,000, I would be left with around $42,000 once the down payment and projected closing expenses are covered.

That initially sounded adequate, but it has to cover far more than decorating. There may be moving bills, inspection findings, early repairs, the first mortgage payment and recurring costs such as insurance, property-tax items and any applicable service charges. Furnishing five bedrooms can wait; losing the entire safety buffer cannot.

How much of the $42,000 would you keep unavailable for anything except a genuine emergency? I am trying to judge the purchase by the total first-year risk rather than stretching to the highest price I can technically close on.
 
I would protect the emergency fund first, then reserve realistic amounts for moving and inspection-related work. Furniture comes last; a five-bedroom house does not need to be fully furnished on day one. Also keep the first mortgage payment in your cash-flow plan rather than assuming the closing estimate covers every near-term outgoing.
 
The missing number is your essential monthly spending after purchase. Without that, $42,000 could represent a comfortable reserve or only a short runway. How stable is the household income, and does your estimate already account for insurance, property-tax items and moving? The home’s age and the condition of the roof, heating, cooling and plumbing will matter more than bedroom count.
 
At this purchase price, I would be cautious about calling $42,000 a large buffer. One major system plus moving and basic setup could take a noticeable bite from it. That does not mean the purchase is unaffordable, but I would want a defined emergency reserve that remains untouched even if the inspection produces a list of tempting repairs.
 
I partly disagree that price alone makes the reserve thin. A well-maintained $1,085,000 home can need less immediate cash than a much cheaper neglected one. The concern is that inspections cannot predict every failure. Emma, is the $42,000 figure based on a lender’s detailed estimate, or your own calculation? Prepaid insurance, adjustments and final closing figures can move.
 
That distinction helps. The $42,000 is based on the current estimated closing costs, not a final figure, so I should stop treating every dollar of it as available. I also have not separated the first mortgage payment or the insurance deductible from the general emergency pot. I’m going to ask for an updated estimate and calculate essential monthly spending before deciding whether this price is sensible.
 
For the inspection, sort findings into three columns: safety or damage prevention, likely within the first year, and cosmetic. Get costs for the first two groups before buying furniture. Beds, window coverings and a table may be immediate needs; matching furniture for spare rooms is not. That keeps an inspection list from turning into one giant, undifferentiated renovation budget.
 
Remember that the insurance deductible—often called the excess elsewhere—is cash you may need at the same time as an emergency repair. Confirm the actual amount on the proposed policy rather than guessing. I would also list utility setup, movers, locks and any recurring service charges or association-related costs separately, if the property has them.
 
One useful test is to draft two first-year budgets: the expected case and an unpleasant but plausible case. In the second, include a significant repair, the insurance deductible, moving costs and no discretionary furniture. If that version consumes the money you need for ordinary living expenses, looking slightly below the maximum is not excessive caution.
 
When the inspection arrives, do not focus only on the total number of findings. Ask which items are active problems, which can be monitored and which need specialist estimates. A long report can contain mostly minor maintenance, while one short note about water, roofing or mechanical equipment may deserve most of the attention.
 
I’d turn this into a closing-day cash floor: final closing amount, first mortgage payment as confirmed by the lender, moving and essential setup, urgent inspection work, then an emergency reserve tied to monthly expenses. Whatever remains can fund furniture and optional projects. If the floor cannot be maintained at $1,085,000, that gives you a concrete reason to lower the target rather than relying on nerves.
 
Back
Top