First-time buyer in Delhi: how much cash buffer after closing?

GroundedPage

Homeowner
Established
Getting the buffer wrong could leave me unable to deal with the first repair or an unexpected monthly charge. I’m looking at a one-bedroom Delhi apartment priced around ₹70,140,000, with about ₹1,586,000 expected to remain once the deposit and estimated completion expenses are paid.

Before deciding whether the purchase price is too close to my limit, I want to verify the service-charge schedule and separate urgent inspection items from work that can wait. Should the remaining sum first cover essential monthly outgoings and moving costs, with furniture postponed, or is there another document or near-term payment I should check before setting the emergency fund?
 
I wouldn’t divide it by fixed percentages. First ring-fence an emergency fund based on your essential monthly outgoings, including the mortgage and service charges. Then set aside known near-term costs: moving, the first mortgage payment and any inspection items that cannot wait. Furniture can be bought gradually. Also confirm what insurance costs and excess you would actually face rather than treating the whole ₹1,586,000 as available.
 
The missing fact is whether that ₹1,586,000 remains after the first mortgage payment, service charges and all moving-related bills, or only after completion costs. I’d be more cautious than Julia if those amounts are still outstanding. At this purchase price, furniture is the easy item to postpone; unresolved inspection findings and recurring apartment charges are what should determine whether buying slightly below your ceiling is necessary.
 
Back
Top