First-time buyer in Dublin: how much cash should remain after closing?

NimblePlan

First-time buyer
Established
I’m looking at a 4-bed townhouse in Dublin for around €492,200. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I should have roughly €23,920 left.

I want to buy below my absolute maximum because the inspection may uncover ordinary first-year work. How would you divide that remaining cash between an emergency fund, moving costs, immediate repairs and furniture? I’m also conscious of possible service charges, an insurance excess and the timing of the first mortgage payment. What am I missing?
 
I’d ring-fence the emergency fund first and treat it as unavailable for furnishing. Then set aside all known near-term payments—moving, insurance, any confirmed service charge and the first mortgage payment—before creating a repairs pot. Furniture would come last. A 4-bed can absorb a lot of money if you try to finish every room immediately, but most rooms only need the basics at first.
 
Is the townhouse in a managed development, and do you already know the service charge amount and when it falls due? That could materially change the calculation. I’d also ask the lender or solicitor for the exact first-payment timing rather than assuming a normal monthly gap. Finally, is the €23,920 figure based on written closing estimates or rough allowances?
 
I’d be slightly more cautious than ygreen. The inspection could identify something that is not an emergency but still needs doing before you move in, so I wouldn’t lock nearly everything away under an untouchable emergency label.

Split the cash into known costs, essential property work and a true emergency reserve. Keep the insurance excess within that reserve. Don’t assign much to repairs until the inspection lets you separate urgent items from cosmetic ones.
 
€23,920 has to cover more than emergencies, so I would not wait until the inspection to start allocating it. Put confirmed closing-adjacent costs aside now, including the service charge, first mortgage payment, moving expenses and the insurance excess.

Once the report arrives, make one budget for work and basic items needed to move in, and a second for improvements that can wait through the first year. Furniture should not automatically receive zero—a bed, for example, is different from replacing a usable sofa—but it is easier to stage than essential repairs. If the untouched reserve is too small after that exercise, lower the purchase ceiling rather than assuming the work can be deferred.
 
Back
Top