First-time buyer in Johannesburg: how much cash buffer after closing?

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
ZAR 728,000 would need to cover the transition into ownership without becoming a decorating fund. That is the expected balance once the deposit and current closing-cost estimate are allowed for on a Johannesburg 1-bed serviced apartment priced around ZAR 21,020,000.

The inspection could still reveal routine work. Should I keep the cash largely untouched until the report and monthly service costs are clear, then fund only urgent repairs and essential moving purchases? If the resulting reserve is too thin, I would prefer a lower offer or a cheaper property. Being told that first-time-buyer nerves are normal does not answer the budget question.
 
I would divide it by priority rather than fixed percentages. First ring-fence several months of essential living costs, including the mortgage and service charges. Then set aside moving costs, the insurance excess and any inspection items that cannot wait. Furniture comes last and can be bought gradually. The key is treating the emergency fund as unavailable, not as an attractive decorating budget.
 
Does the ZAR 728,000 figure already allow for the first mortgage payment, initial service charges and insurance? The property price alone does not reveal whether the buffer is comfortable; the monthly carrying cost matters. I would also want to know what “serviced” includes, because that could either reduce your maintenance exposure or add another substantial recurring bill.
 
Until responsibility for each defect is clear, any repair allocation is guesswork. I would not create a large dedicated pot merely because the inspection may list numerous items.

Ask which findings belong to the apartment owner, which are handled through the building, and whether any exceptional building charges are anticipated. If urgent internal work is yours, reserve money using actual quotes. If the findings are cosmetic or a building responsibility, leave the cash liquid instead of treating it as already spent.
 
Agreed on waiting for the inspection, but I would still make a simple cash calendar now: every payment due before moving, the first mortgage payment, service charges, insurance, moving day, and only essential furniture. Add inspection work once it is known. Buy the bed and genuinely necessary pieces first; a fully furnished apartment in month one is optional, liquidity is not.
 
At ZAR 21,020,000, ZAR 728,000 can disappear quickly if the monthly obligations are high, so I would not judge it by the cash figure alone. Stress-test one expensive first year: an insurance excess, urgent internal work and several normal mortgage payments still covered without borrowing. If that leaves too little, buying below your maximum is not excessive caution—it is buying room to recover.
 
Back
Top