The cash left after purchase has to cover more than furnishing, so I do not want to treat all of it as spendable. I am looking at a three-bedroom Lagos townhouse costing about NGN 395,200,000, with an estimated NGN 29,450,000 remaining once my current purchase-cost assumptions are applied.
My concern is that those assumptions may still omit the first mortgage payment, service charges, the insurance excess and urgent inspection findings. I had planned to split the remainder between moving, repairs, savings and furniture, but filling three bedrooms immediately is clearly optional.
Should I first calculate an emergency reserve from my monthly essential outgoings, then subtract every confirmed near-term payment? I can use the inspection report and final cost statement to decide what, if anything, is available for furniture.
My concern is that those assumptions may still omit the first mortgage payment, service charges, the insurance excess and urgent inspection findings. I had planned to split the remainder between moving, repairs, savings and furniture, but filling three bedrooms immediately is clearly optional.
Should I first calculate an emergency reserve from my monthly essential outgoings, then subtract every confirmed near-term payment? I can use the inspection report and final cost statement to decide what, if anything, is available for furniture.