First-time buyer in Lyon: is €36,800 enough cash after closing?

EasyRiver

Homeowner
My main constraint is avoiding a move that leaves no room for the first mortgage payment or an urgent repair.

The property is a 3-bed apartment in Lyon priced at about €841,800. Once the deposit and expected purchase costs are paid, I estimate that €36,800 would remain, although the inspection may uncover work that needs attention soon after completion.

What would you ring-fence before committing the rest? I am thinking in terms of an emergency reserve, moving expenses, inspection-led repairs and only then essential furnishings. Which inspection findings would make you increase the cash buffer or reconsider the purchase altogether?
 
I wouldn’t divide it evenly. Ring-fence the emergency fund first, then set aside the known moving costs and anything the inspection says cannot wait. Furniture would come last; empty rooms are inconvenient, but they do not usually need urgent spending.

Also leave room for the first mortgage payment rather than treating the full €36,800 as available after moving.
 
The missing piece is the apartment’s ongoing service charges and whether any building-level work is already anticipated. Those could matter more than furniture or minor defects inside the flat.

I’d also check the insurance excess and get actual moving quotes before deciding the buffer is comfortable. €36,800 may be workable, but not if a large part is already spoken for by inspection findings and near-term charges.
 
Back
Top