First-time buyer in Manchester: how much cash buffer after closing?

kite.first

First-time buyer
We finally had an offer accepted on a 3-bed townhouse in Manchester at around £417,300 after repeatedly losing to cleaner offers. Once the deposit and estimated closing costs are paid, I should have roughly £14,820 left.

I’m trying to decide whether that is a comfortable buffer or a warning to buy below my maximum, especially if the inspection identifies ordinary first-year work. How would you divide it among emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs and furniture? I don’t want every small problem to become a financial emergency.
 
I would keep most of it untouched initially. One possible approach is to separate a genuine emergency fund first, then make smaller pots for moving and urgent inspection items. Furniture would come last apart from essentials such as a bed, table and somewhere to sit. Empty rooms are inconvenient; having no cash when the heating or plumbing needs attention is worse.
 
Does your £14,820 calculation include the first mortgage payment, insurance excess and any service or estate charges attached to the townhouse? Those can be easy to overlook because they are not all part of the purchase bill. I would also wait for the inspection before assigning an exact repairs amount.
 
Be careful not to let the frustration of losing earlier offers push you into treating this acceptance as unmissable. £14,820 might be fine if the inspection is quiet and the monthly costs leave room to rebuild savings, but it could disappear quickly if several jobs overlap. The condition of the roof, windows, heating and electrics matters more than the number of bedrooms here.
 
I agree with waiting for the inspection, although I wouldn’t assume every noted defect needs immediate work. Reports often mix urgent issues with maintenance that can be scheduled later. Ask which findings affect safety, weatherproofing or further deterioration. That gives you a first-year list rather than one frightening total.
 
I’d divide the jobs into three groups: needed before moving in, needed within the first year, and cosmetic. Get rough costs for the first two groups before committing money to furniture. Also obtain a firm moving quote and list the small setup expenses—locks, curtains, basic tools and cleaning—which are individually minor but tend to arrive together.
 
The first mortgage payment, insurance excess and possible service or estate charges were not separate lines in my buffer plan, so that is already useful. I’m going to stop thinking of the full £14,820 as available spending money. For now I’ll price the move, wait for the inspection findings and limit furniture to what we actually need on day one.
 
Also map the dates, not just the totals. Moving costs, insurance, utility setup and the first mortgage payment may land close together, while your normal monthly saving pattern has not restarted yet. A cash-flow calendar for the first eight to twelve weeks can reveal whether a seemingly adequate buffer is temporarily too tight.
 
That sounds more cautious, but I still wouldn’t create four rigid pots before seeing the report. If the inspection finds nothing major, preserving a large general reserve may be better than manufacturing a repairs budget and then feeling free to spend the rest. If it finds something serious, revisit the price and the purchase itself rather than assuming the buffer must absorb it.
 
Before exchange, I’d want five numbers written down: cash remaining after all purchase costs, the first month’s housing outgoings, moving costs, urgent work identified by the inspection, and the minimum reserve you refuse to touch. Furniture then comes from anything genuinely left over. That also makes the “buy slightly below maximum” decision less emotional and easier to compare against this particular townhouse.
 
Back
Top