First-time buyer in Manchester: how much cash should remain after completion?

FirstCorner

Homeowner
After revising my completion-cost estimate, it looks as though about £10,920 would remain in cash, which raises a new question about what that figure actually needs to cover. I’m considering a one-bedroom condo in Manchester at roughly £507,000, and I have not yet allowed for any routine work identified by the survey.

Should the first mortgage payment and initial service charge be set aside before I treat any of the balance as an emergency fund? I also need realistic pots for moving, essential furniture and urgent repairs. A sample allocation would help me judge whether I should reduce the purchase budget.
 
I’d keep more than half completely untouched. As a rough planning exercise: £6,000 emergency fund, £1,500 moving and setup, £2,000 for genuinely urgent work, £500 for essential furniture, and the remaining £920 for the first mortgage payment or an insurance excess. Adjust once you have actual quotes, but don’t let cosmetic purchases consume the repair pot.
 
Does the £10,920 remain after accounting for the first mortgage payment, or are you assuming that comes from your next salary? Also, what is the service charge? A buffer that looks reasonable on completion day can shrink quickly if the normal monthly housing costs leave little room to rebuild it.
 
The survey wording matters. Findings often need separating into three groups: urgent before moving in, work within the first year, and cosmetic or longer-term items. Only the first group should drive your immediate-repair allocation. A bed, table and basic seating are enough initially; the rest of the furniture can wait while you learn how you use the space.
 
I’m less comfortable with £10,920 than Sven is, given the purchase price. It may be workable, but only if income after the mortgage and service charge can replenish it reliably. Buying slightly cheaper helps at completion, yet it doesn’t protect you from an expensive service charge or planned block work. Ask about past charges and any known upcoming expenditure before deciding the buffer is sufficient.
 
Don’t overlook the insurance excess. With a condo, clarify what the block’s building cover handles, what you need to insure yourself, and which excess could fall to you after a claim. I’d keep that amount within the emergency fund rather than treating insurance as just another monthly bill.
 
Moving costs are also broader than the van: packing materials, cleaning, temporary storage and replacing small things that do not fit can add up. Measure the rooms and access before ordering furniture. That prevents spending the furniture allowance on something that cannot get through the door or overwhelms a 1-bed space.
 
Once the survey arrives, price the important findings rather than reserving a vague amount for all of them. If something material appears, you can reconsider the offer or whether to proceed, but don’t assume the seller will fund every item mentioned. Ordinary wear and future maintenance still need room in your own budget.
 
Ask the lender exactly when the first payment is expected and how it will be calculated. It may not match the regular monthly figure you have been using for affordability planning. Until that is confirmed, I would ring-fence a generous payment amount outside the repairs and furniture pots.
 
Thanks, all. I hadn’t been treating the first mortgage payment and insurance excess as separate risks, so £10,920 was looking more available than it really is. I’m going to confirm those figures, the service charge position and any planned block expenditure before setting a price ceiling. Furniture will be essentials only, and survey items will be split into urgent, first-year and cosmetic work.
 
That sounds more robust. I’d put the final numbers on one page before making the decision: cash left at completion, first payment, moving commitments, urgent survey work, service charge, insurance excess and the untouched emergency amount. If the untouched figure feels too small after filling in real costs, lowering the purchase budget is the cleanest lever.
 
Back
Top