First-time buyer in Manila: how much cash should remain after closing?

EarnestBrick

First-time buyer
Established
I’m considering a 2-bed duplex in Manila at around PHP 51,330,000. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have roughly PHP 1,392,000 left.

The inspection may uncover ordinary first-year work, so I’m deciding whether that remaining cash is enough or whether I should buy below my maximum. How would you divide it among emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs and furniture without turning every small issue into a financial emergency?
 
I would not divide the whole amount yet. First ring-fence an emergency fund based on your essential monthly spending, including the new mortgage and any service charges. Then reserve the first mortgage payment, moving costs and the insurance excess. Only what remains should be available for repairs and furniture. If that final amount is uncomfortable, the price is probably too close to your limit.
 
What is included in the closing-cost estimate, and when is the first mortgage payment actually due? Those two details could materially change the picture. I’d also want to know whether the duplex has recurring service charges and whether any large payment is collected soon after completion.
 
One more thing: separate inspection items into urgent, near-term and cosmetic. An electrical, plumbing or water-entry problem belongs in a different bucket from repainting or replacing usable furniture. Without that breakdown, “ordinary first-year work” can hide a very wide range of costs.
 
I agree with the buckets, but I wouldn’t automatically treat PHP 1,392,000 as too little just because the purchase price is high. The better test is cash flow after completion: income stability, essential monthly outgoings and how quickly the reserve can be rebuilt. Buying cheaper also has costs if the alternative property needs more work or is a poor fit.
 
That’s fair, Naomi. Still, I’d base the decision on the inspection as it stands, not on an assumption that the reserve can be replenished quickly. A stable monthly surplus helps with planned furniture; it is less useful if several repairs and the insurance excess land together soon after closing.
 
A simple way to organise the PHP 1,392,000 is with separate accounts or written buckets: untouchable emergency savings; completion-month expenses including the first mortgage payment; moving and utility setup; inspection-led repairs; and optional furniture. Don’t assign percentages until you know the actual amounts. Furniture is the easiest category to delay, so it should absorb any shortfall rather than the emergency fund.
 
I’d also price the move in two versions: essentials only and the comfortable version. The essentials version covers getting possessions in and making the home functional. Decorative pieces, matching furniture and non-urgent upgrades can wait. That exercise often shows whether the buffer is genuinely thin or whether too many optional purchases were simply being treated as closing necessities.
 
The possible blind spot is service charges. Even if the regular amount fits the monthly budget, ask what is due around handover and whether any known work affects the duplex. I wouldn’t assume the inspection covers every shared or externally managed element. The relevant paperwork and local arrangements need to be checked rather than guessed.
 
My decision rule would be: proceed only if the emergency fund remains intact after allowing for the first mortgage payment, confirmed moving costs, insurance excess and urgent inspection findings. Everything cosmetic—including most furniture—comes afterward. If the numbers only work by calling repairs “unlikely” or spending the emergency fund, offer less, renegotiate after inspection where appropriate, or choose a lower-priced property.
 
Back
Top