First-time buyer in Nairobi: how much cash buffer after closing?

mapsAndRoom

First-time buyer
The purchase figures suggest I could proceed, but the remaining cash makes me hesitate. After the deposit and estimated completion expenses on a Nairobi 2-bed detached home costing about KES 132,900,000, I expect to have KES 1,419,000 left. The inspection could still identify work needed soon after moving in.

What should be ring-fenced first: initial payments and service charges, urgent repairs, moving expenses or the emergency reserve? Furniture can wait, but I’m trying to judge whether the cash cushion is already too small for this purchase.
 
I would not divide it into equal pots. First set aside moving costs, the first mortgage payment, any service charges due, and the insurance excess. Then ring-fence enough for urgent inspection items and treat whatever remains as the emergency fund. Furniture would come last; a partly furnished home is inconvenient, but losing the entire cash cushion is worse.

Does the KES 1,419,000 remain after all those first-month payments, or only after the purchase costs?
 
I think that buffer is uncomfortably tight relative to the KES 132,900,000 price, especially before the inspection findings are known. Even a list of individually minor repairs can consume cash quickly after moving.

Ask the inspector to separate safety or water-related work from routine maintenance and cosmetic items, then price the urgent category before committing. If that leaves little true emergency money, buying below your maximum—or delaying nonessential furniture—looks more sensible than trying to make the current figure fit.
 
Back
Top