First-time buyer in New York: how much cash buffer after closing?

liv_homes

Buyer
Established
We kept losing to cleaner offers and finally had one accepted, but I’m worried we may be stretching too far. It’s a 5-bed condo in New York at around $1,290,000. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, we would have roughly $12,000 left, and the inspection may still identify ordinary first-year work.

How would you divide that between emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs and furniture? I’d rather buy slightly below our maximum than have every small issue become a financial emergency.
 
I’d treat most of the $12,000 as untouchable emergency money and delay furniture beyond the basics. A 5-bed place creates pressure to fill rooms, but empty rooms are less urgent than a repair or income interruption. Before proceeding, list moving costs, the first mortgage payment, condo charges and any insurance deductible separately. If those still have to come from the $12,000, the real buffer is much smaller.
 
What does the condo cover, and are there any upcoming building projects or charges under discussion? The inspection helps with the unit itself, but it may not answer every building-level cost question. I’d want that information before deciding whether $12,000 is enough.
 
I’m not sure dividing the money into neat categories solves the underlying problem. Moving and essential fixes are planned expenses, so they should ideally be funded before calling anything an emergency reserve. Wait for the inspection, price only the work that cannot reasonably be postponed, and get a realistic moving estimate. Then add the first payment, insurance and condo charges to a short cash-flow calendar. If little remains uncommitted, buying below the current maximum may be the safer choice.
 
Back
Top