First-time buyer in Oslo: how much cash to keep after closing on a 2-bed villa?

kai_trades

First-time buyer
Established
The figure that gave me pause was the cash left over, not the accepted price itself. We are buying a 2-bed villa in Oslo for about NOK 15,250,000 and expect roughly NOK 438,700 to remain after the deposit and estimated closing costs.

That sounds comfortable until I include the first mortgage payment, moving expenses, any service charges and work identified by the inspection. Routine first-year repairs could then compete with the emergency fund before we have settled in.

Would you keep one reserve untouched until the inspection items have been priced, or allocate separate amounts immediately for urgent work and basic household needs? Furniture feels like the easiest expense to delay. I am more concerned about overlooking an early charge or repair that cannot wait.
 
I would avoid dividing it permanently until the inspection findings are clear. First ring-fence an emergency amount that also covers the insurance excess and the first mortgage payment. Then reserve money for moving and only genuinely urgent repairs. Furniture would come last; an incomplete room is inconvenient, but a leak or failed appliance cannot wait.
 
NOK 438,700 sounds substantial, but against a NOK 15,250,000 purchase it could disappear quickly. Have your estimates included any service charges and overlap between the old and new homes? I would also push back slightly on one large general repair pot: price each inspection item, separate urgent work from cosmetic work, and keep the remainder untouched until you have lived there for a few months.
 
Back
Top