First-time buyer in Rio de Janeiro: how much cash buffer after closing?

mara.crane

Homeowner
The mortgage itself appears manageable. My specific concern is whether the cash left after completion would survive the first few months and a routine inspection list at the same time.

The property is a 4-bed villa in Rio de Janeiro at about R$4,508,000, and I estimate that R$246,400 would remain after the deposit and expected closing expenses. How should I allocate that amount among protected emergency savings, the move, essential repairs and basic furnishing? I also need to account for the timing of the first mortgage instalment. I am open to lowering the purchase price rather than depending on the same money for several different needs.
 
I’d divide it in that order, not equally: first protect an emergency fund based on several months of total household spending, including the mortgage; then reserve known moving and setup costs; then create a separate repair pot after the inspection. Furniture would come last and could be bought room by room. A 4-bed place does not need to be fully furnished on moving day.
 
One missing detail: does the R$246,400 also need to cover the first mortgage payment, any service charges, and the insurance excess? Those can arrive on different dates from the regular monthly budget. I’d map the first 90 days by payment date before deciding that the whole balance is genuinely available.
 
The practical constraint is that the R$246,400 cannot cover two risks at once. A general living-cost reserve may look adequate until the villa needs a concentrated repair while the mortgage and household bills continue.

I would ring-fence the emergency fund, then create a separate inspection-led repair amount. The next step is to cost urgent defects, first-year maintenance and optional work in three separate groups. If the urgent group, moving expenses and first-payment timing cannot all be covered without touching emergency savings, that points to a lower purchase price. Furniture for unused rooms can wait, but it should not be the only source of flexibility.
 
That’s fair, although I wouldn’t choose an arbitrary repair percentage before seeing the inspection. I’d cost three versions: only urgent safety or weather-related work, urgent work plus likely first-year maintenance, and the full wish list. The purchase works only if the first version leaves the emergency fund intact. Cosmetic work and spare-bedroom furniture can wait.
 
Before committing, turn the R$246,400 into named amounts rather than one reassuring total. List: untouchable emergency savings, first-payment timing, moving, insurance excess, any service charges, inspection-led urgent work, and basic furniture. Get moving estimates and ask the inspector to separate urgent defects from maintenance and cosmetic items. If those amounts overlap or depend on using the same cash twice, lower the target price.
 
Back
Top