First-time buyer in Rotterdam: dividing a €39,560 post-closing buffer

EarlyGlass

Buyer
Established
The mortgage looks manageable; my specific concern is how quickly the remaining cash could disappear during the first year. After the deposit and expected closing expenses, I should retain about €39,560 on a 5-bed serviced apartment in Rotterdam priced near €864,800.

I have not yet had the inspection, and I still need to establish what the service charges cover. If the apartment needs little immediate work, I could reserve more for emergencies and furnish gradually. If repairs or unfurnished rooms require substantial spending at once, I may need to lower my purchase budget. How much of the €39,560 would you keep completely untouched until those facts are known?
 
I’d protect at least half as a true emergency fund and budget from the remainder. As a rough starting point: €20,000 untouched, €6,000 for moving and the first mortgage payment, €8,000 for inspection-related work, and €5,560 for essential furniture. Anything decorative can wait. The important part is not quietly spending the emergency portion on sofas and spare bedrooms.
 
Is the apartment already furnished because it is serviced, and what exactly does the service charge cover? Those answers could change the split considerably. Furnishing five bedrooms from scratch is very different from replacing a few items. I would also confirm when the first mortgage payment and service charge fall relative to completion, since timing can create a temporary cash squeeze.
 
I wouldn’t commit to fixed percentages before the inspection. At this purchase price, €39,560 is useful but not enormous once moving, service charges and an unexpected repair overlap. If the inspection identifies expensive near-term work, buying below your maximum may be the better answer rather than allocating nearly the whole buffer in advance.
 
Agreed on waiting for the inspection, but furniture is the easiest category to control. Make the main bedroom, kitchen and one living area usable first; leave the other bedrooms basic or empty until cash rebuilds. Immediate repairs should mean safety, water, heating or preventing further damage—not every cosmetic defect listed by the inspector.
 
Also separate building-level costs from work inside the apartment. Find out what the service charges include, whether any larger works or additional contributions have already been discussed, and what insurance excess you would personally need to absorb. An insurance excess is not a substitute for a repair reserve, so I would keep those as separate lines even if both sit in the same savings account.
 
A practical approach is to make two budgets after the inspection: a normal first year and an unpleasant one. Put the first mortgage payment, moving quote, service charges and essential furniture into both. Then add the inspection’s urgent items plus the insurance excess to the unpleasant version. If that version pushes the emergency fund below a level that lets you sleep comfortably, reduce the offer or choose a cheaper property.
 
Back
Top