First-time buyer in Sydney: how much cash should remain after closing?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
A$42,560 is the figure driving my decision about whether this purchase leaves enough breathing room. It is what I expect to retain once the deposit and estimated closing costs are paid on a 1-bed new-build flat in Sydney costing about A$1,056,000.

An offer has finally been accepted after several unsuccessful attempts, but I do not want that relief to make the budget look safer than it is. The remaining cash may need to cover the move, essential inspection items and basic furnishings, while still leaving a reserve that is genuinely off limits.

Would you first ring-fence a fixed emergency amount and stage everything else? For example, I can move with only a bed and a few necessities, whereas an urgent water-related defect could not wait. I am trying to decide whether delaying furniture makes the numbers workable or whether the purchase itself is simply too near my ceiling.
 
To clarify, I have not treated the whole A$42,560 as available for furnishing. I’m also conscious of the first mortgage payment, service charges and any insurance excess. I’m trying to work out how much should remain completely untouched before deciding whether this purchase is still comfortable.
 
I would work backwards from an emergency fund rather than divide the full amount among purchases. Ring-fence enough to cover a meaningful period of mortgage payments and normal living expenses, then reserve the known moving and settlement-adjacent bills. Furniture gets whatever remains. A bed, table and basic seating can be bought gradually; liquidity is much harder to rebuild after closing.
 
Does your estimated closing-cost figure include every payment that may fall due around settlement, or only the main transaction costs? Ask for a dated cash-flow list showing the first mortgage debit, moving expenses and any strata or service-charge payment. The total buffer sounds quite different if several of those items land in the same week.
 
I have looked at the A$42,560 against the purchase price; what remains unclear is how quickly that reserve could be restored after settlement. That matters more than whether the balance appears large on its own.

The earlier suggestion to date every outgoing is useful. Once the first mortgage debit, moving bill, strata or service charge and any insurance excess are placed on a timeline, the buyer can set aside the true emergency portion and see what is actually free. If normal monthly savings would rebuild it reasonably soon, delaying furniture may be enough. If replenishment would take years, a lower purchase price is the safer compromise.
 
Furniture is the easiest category to delay. Make a short list of what is necessary on day one, what can wait three months, and what is purely decorative. New owners often try to finish every room at once, but a 1-bed flat can function with very little while you learn how you actually use the space.
 
One caveat on “immediate repairs”: an inspection finding does not necessarily mean you should immediately pay for it yourself, especially in a new build. Get each issue described clearly, photographed and separated into urgent safety or water-related work versus cosmetic defects. Then have your conveyancer explain who may be responsible in this particular Sydney purchase before you allocate cash.
 
That’s fair, but I still wouldn’t remove those findings from the cash plan just because someone else may ultimately be responsible. Even where an issue is meant to be corrected, timing and responsibility can be disputed. Keep a contingency until the flat has been through its first stretch of normal use; just don’t spend that contingency pre-emptively.
 
I’d use four buckets: untouched emergency money; known move-in and first-payment costs; a temporary defects and insurance-excess reserve; and optional furnishing. The first three should have clear amounts before the fourth receives anything. Also read the inspection report before buying appliances or furniture—access, moisture or finishing work can make early deliveries inconvenient.
 
Also confirm what insurance is already associated with the building and what you personally need, including the relevant excesses. Don’t assume “new build” means no early outlay, but don’t duplicate cover either. Once you have the inspection findings and exact payment dates, stress-test the plan by asking whether one repair plus an excess and the first mortgage payment could all be met without touching ordinary living money.
 
Back
Top