First-time buyer in Sydney: is A$60,800 enough cash buffer after closing?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
I’ve estimated the deposit and closing costs on a four-bedroom detached home in Sydney, but I’m less clear about the cash needed from settlement through the first year. On a purchase near A$1,003,000, about A$60,800 should remain.

That pot would need to cover an emergency reserve, moving costs, the insurance excess and any inspection-led repairs. We can delay nonessential furniture, so I do not want to budget as though every room must be completed immediately.

Would you first set a minimum personal emergency fund and use only the balance for the house? If the inspection identifies urgent work, I could reduce the offer or price range; if it shows only routine maintenance, I could keep more cash untouched and furnish gradually.
 
To clarify, the A$60,800 isn’t money I intend to spend immediately; it is the total remaining pot. I’m also unsure whether people treat the first mortgage payment, insurance excess and settlement adjustments as part of the moving budget or reserve for them separately. We already have basic furniture, so furnishing every bedroom on day one isn’t essential.
 
I’d start by making at least half untouchable emergency savings—A$30,400 in your case. Then create separate buckets for moving/setup, inspection-led repairs and near-term bills. Keep a final amount unallocated rather than assigning every dollar before you own the place. Furniture can come from future monthly cash flow unless something is genuinely needed to use the home.
 
What does your normal monthly surplus look like after the proposed mortgage, insurance and household costs? A$60,800 could be comfortable if you can rebuild it steadily, or tight if the repayment absorbs nearly everything.

Also, have your closing estimates allowed for every adjustment and any recurring service charge attached to the property? If those numbers are still provisional, I wouldn’t divide the buffer yet.
 
I disagree slightly with choosing half as the emergency fund just because it is a neat split. The better starting point is several months of your actual essential outgoings, including the new mortgage. Only the amount above that should be considered available for repairs or furniture.

A 4-bed house can also present several modest jobs at once. None is disastrous alone, but together they can consume the apparently “spare” bucket.
 
A useful exercise is to write three first-year scenarios: nothing beyond moving costs, the inspection’s ordinary recommendations, and two unrelated problems arriving together. Include the insurance excess, first mortgage payment and any service charge in the relevant scenario. If the third version would force you into expensive borrowing, either preserve more of the A$60,800 or reduce the purchase price.
 
Since you already have the basics, furniture is the easiest category to delay. Empty bedrooms are not defects. Move in, learn how the rooms are actually used, and buy gradually.

I’d give inspection findings priority in this order: anything affecting safe occupation or preventing further damage, then functional repairs, then cosmetic work. That stops a long report from being mistaken for a list of jobs due immediately.
 
The inspection itself should change the allocation. “Ordinary first-year work” is too broad until the report identifies urgency and likely scope. Ask the inspector which items need prompt attention and which can simply be monitored. If a significant issue appears, the answer may be to revisit the deal rather than quietly fund it from your buffer, depending on the contract and local advice.
 
I’d keep the final plan simple: protected emergency fund; settlement and first-payment cash; moving and essential setup; urgent inspection work; then a small flexible remainder. Put furniture last and leave cosmetic repairs outside the closing-day plan.

The key missing figure remains your post-purchase monthly surplus. If that is healthy, the reserve can recover after a routine expense. If it is close to zero, even A$60,800 deserves much more protection.
 
Back
Top