First-time buyer in Tokyo: is ¥2,601,000 enough cash after closing?

EarlyGlass

Buyer
Established
The surprising part is how quickly ¥2,601,000 stops looking like a large reserve once the first few payments are listed. That is what I expect to retain if I purchase a 2-bed new-build flat in Tokyo for about ¥76,500,000 and account for the deposit and estimated transaction costs.

The money may have to absorb the move, mortgage and building charges, insurance costs, essential inspection work and at least basic items such as a bed. If those known expenses can be paid while leaving a separate emergency fund intact, the purchase may be manageable. If furnishing the flat or one repair would consume that fund, I should probably lower my price range. What would you ring-fence before committing?
 
I would not divide the full amount into spending categories. First ring-fence an emergency sum that remains untouched, then list unavoidable costs by payment date: mortgage, service charges, insurance and moving. Repairs identified by the inspection come next; furniture can usually wait.

The missing facts are when your first mortgage payment falls and whether any service charges or building-related payments are already included in the closing estimate.
 
Also, what furniture and appliances do you already own? “Furniture” could mean a bed and curtains, or furnishing the entire 2-bed flat. That difference may decide whether ¥2,601,000 is comfortable.

I would ask the inspector to separate urgent defects from cosmetic or monitor-only items. A new build may reduce repair needs, but it does not mean every finding requires immediate spending.
 
I’d be cautious about assigning fixed percentages before those answers are known. A large emergency allocation looks reassuring, but it is not really available if the move, first payment and known building charges consume part of it within weeks.

Make a dated cash-flow list through the first few months, add the inspection items, and postpone nonessential furniture. If the untouched balance then feels too thin, lowering the purchase price is the cleaner solution.
 
That distinction helps. I had been treating the entire ¥2,601,000 as a buffer even though some of it is really committed cash. I’ll confirm the first mortgage date and whether all initial service charges are in the closing estimate, then price the move and only essential furniture. I’ll also ask for inspection findings to be prioritised. If the genuinely untouched amount is small after that, I’ll look below ¥76,500,000 rather than stretch.
 
Back
Top