I want enough cash left after completion that an ordinary problem does not put me under pressure. The obstacle is that buying the 2-bed Vancouver villa at about C$1,829,000 would leave roughly C$39,150 after the deposit and estimated closing costs, before allowing for anything the inspection uncovers.
My instinct is to protect the emergency fund first, then cover moving and urgent work, while furnishing rooms gradually. On the other hand, setting aside too much without calculating the first mortgage payment, insurance and any service charges could give me a false sense of security. What monthly costs should I deduct before deciding how much of the C$39,150 is genuinely available, and how would you split what remains?
My instinct is to protect the emergency fund first, then cover moving and urgent work, while furnishing rooms gradually. On the other hand, setting aside too much without calculating the first mortgage payment, insurance and any service charges could give me a false sense of security. What monthly costs should I deduct before deciding how much of the C$39,150 is genuinely available, and how would you split what remains?