First-time buyer in Vienna: how much cash buffer after closing?

timo_taxes

First-time buyer
Established
The survey makes the house sound worse than it probably is, but I am concerned about several ordinary costs arriving together. The property is a 2-bed detached home in Vienna at roughly €441,600, and I expect to retain about €22,080 after the deposit and estimated closing expenses.

What should be protected first from that sum? My current thought is to set aside an emergency reserve and the insurance excess, then budget for the move and only urgent survey items. Most furniture could wait, even if that means leaving the second bedroom nearly empty for a while. I would be interested in how others would test whether this buffer is genuinely sufficient rather than simply looking comfortable on closing day.
 
I’d ring-fence the emergency fund before allocating anything to the house. Then reserve enough for moving, the first mortgage payment, insurance excess and only genuinely urgent inspection findings. Furniture would come last; a partly empty room is inconvenient, but it isn’t an emergency. Also check whether your closing estimate includes every payment due in the first month.
 
I wouldn’t use fixed percentages without knowing your monthly spending and how quickly you can rebuild savings. €22,080 may be comfortable for someone with low outgoings, or thin if one income interruption would drain it quickly.

Does the report distinguish safety or weatherproofing work from cosmetic recommendations? Price those first. Also confirm whether this detached home has any service charges or shared costs. Make a dated cash-flow list for closing, moving and month one, then defer furniture until the inspection items are clearer.
 
Back
Top