First-time buyer near Lyon: is €13,800 enough cash after closing?

otis.elm

Buyer
Established
If I misjudge the cash buffer, the first mortgage payment or one urgent inspection item could leave me stretched immediately after completion.

The property is a 3-bed country home near Lyon at about €1,187,000. Once the deposit and expected closing expenses are paid, I estimate that €13,800 will remain. The inspection contains plenty of observations, but I have not yet separated routine work from defects that need prompt attention.

Would you first list every payment through the second mortgage instalment, then rank the inspection findings by urgency? I am inclined to cover moving, insurance and essential repairs, keep the rest untouched, and postpone most furniture rather than allocate the money evenly.
 
At that purchase price, €13,800 feels very tight rather than comfortably buffered. I would not divide it into neat categories yet: keep most of it untouched for genuine emergencies, fund only essential moving costs and safety-related repairs, and delay furniture. Also make sure the first mortgage payment and insurance excess are covered without dipping into the emergency portion.
 
What does the inspection actually identify, and which items have costs or urgency attached? A long report can contain dozens of minor observations, but roof, drainage, heating or moisture concerns change the calculation. I’d also list every payment due between signing and the second mortgage payment, including insurance, moving and any service charges that apply.
 
I agree about separating urgent findings from cosmetic ones, but I wouldn’t assume the report is merely alarming because the house appears sound. Country homes can produce clustered expenses: one repair exposes another, while routine outdoor maintenance starts immediately. Furniture is the easy sacrifice. A bed, table and basic appliances are enough until the cash reserve has recovered.
 
There’s another issue: a four-way split can create false comfort. If you allocate money to furniture and then an essential repair appears, those categories disappear anyway. Start with a single protected reserve, subtract confirmed moving costs and only the repairs required for safe occupation. If the resulting reserve makes you uneasy, the purchase price is probably too close to your limit.
 
That may be too conservative if the inspection has no significant defects and the buyer’s monthly surplus rebuilds savings quickly. The missing facts are income stability, mortgage payment, current furniture and whether contractors have priced any findings. €13,800 means something different if savings recover within months rather than years. Still, I would want written estimates before treating any item as “ordinary.”
 
A practical exercise: make three lists from the report—before moving in, within twelve months, and optional. Get prices for the first list, add moving and the first mortgage payment, then see what remains of the €13,800. Keep furniture to what is genuinely missing. If that arithmetic leaves almost no untouched cash, negotiate, lower the target price or wait.
 
Also test the budget against two problems arriving together, not just one: for example, an insurance excess plus a heating repair. That is where a thin reserve becomes stressful. Confirm whether there are any recurring service charges for this particular property, but don’t add them automatically just because they appear on a generic checklist. The property-specific inspection findings and actual completion timetable should drive the decision.
 
Back
Top