First time posting: rent increase versus tenant retention for a duplex in Porto (need advice)

nico_linden

Property investor
Market asking rent for my Porto duplex appears to be around €1,246, while the current tenant pays about €1,079. They pay reliably and look after the home, so I do not want to lose a good tenancy merely to chase an advertised figure.

I’m considering a modest adjustment rather than the full difference. How would others weigh vacancy, refurbishment and the risk of a poor replacement tenant? I also want to handle the review, notice and any eventual deposit issues correctly under the applicable Portuguese rules.
 
The gap is €167 a month. Even one vacant month at the higher figure would consume roughly seven months of that extra gross rent, before advertising, repairs or refurbishment. That makes retention financially valuable, not just considerate.

I would first confirm what increase and notice your particular lease permits, then discuss a smaller adjustment with the tenant rather than treating €1,246 as an automatic target.
 
One missing detail: is €1,246 based on comparable duplexes that actually rented, or only current asking prices? Also compare condition, exact area and included furnishings. An optimistic listing is not necessarily evidence that you would achieve that rent quickly.
 
I agree about checking comparable homes, but I would not automatically discount the full increase solely because the tenant is good. If maintenance costs have risen or the rent has been left unchanged for a long time, postponing every adjustment can create a much harder conversation later.

The maintenance history matters too: are there known works coming up that would make a rent rise feel poorly timed?
 
Put three scenarios on paper: retain at €1,079, retain after a permitted modest rise, or re-let at up to €1,246. For the last one, subtract a realistic vacancy period, necessary works and turnover administration, including proper settlement of the existing deposit.

Then verify the lease terms and current local notice requirements before writing anything. A calm message acknowledging the tenant’s reliability and explaining the proposed amount is more likely to preserve the relationship than presenting an asking-price comparison as a demand.
 
Back
Top