Three rejected offers came before I completed on my first Vienna apartment, and they ended up being useful preparation rather than lost time. The successful purchase also showed me how quickly the timetable can become unclear when the lender, the other side and several advisers are each waiting for something different.
I kept cash back instead of treating completion as the end of the spending. Owning part of a building means allowing for repairs and shared costs as well as moving and furnishing. I also learned to keep a simple list showing the named person responsible for each outstanding item and the date it was due, especially during the final week.
For those who have completed a first purchase, which practical lesson only became obvious during the transaction?
I kept cash back instead of treating completion as the end of the spending. Owning part of a building means allowing for repairs and shared costs as well as moving and furnishing. I also learned to keep a simple list showing the named person responsible for each outstanding item and the date it was due, especially during the final week.
For those who have completed a first purchase, which practical lesson only became obvious during the transaction?