France purchase checklist: easy-to-miss legal, tax and energy costs

otis.elm

Buyer
Established
I’m considering a detached home in Paris priced at about €878,600 and building a full cash-cost checklist before proceeding. Transfer tax, registration and notary/legal costs are the obvious headings, but I’m less clear about ownership structure, recurring property charges and the financial implications of the energy-performance report.

What should I ask a licensed French professional to itemise? I also want to understand how residency, eventual capital gains and inheritance planning could affect the choice of ownership structure. I’m looking for useful questions rather than personal legal or tax advice.
 
I’d divide the discussion into three columns: purchase, annual ownership, and eventual sale or inheritance. Otherwise a reassuring closing estimate can hide costs that simply arise later. Ask for the purchase estimate to separate taxes, registration, the notary’s remuneration and third-party disbursements. Then request a distinct annual-cost schedule rather than assuming everything appears in the closing figures.
 
Several missing facts could change the questions. Will this be a main home, second home or rental? Are you buying alone or jointly, and where are the buyers tax-resident? Also, what energy rating appears in the property report, and is any work already anticipated? I wouldn’t choose an ownership arrangement until the inheritance and residency answers are considered together.
 
One caution: people often use “notary costs” for the entire amount collected at completion, even though that total can contain several different items. If transfer tax and registration are already elsewhere on your spreadsheet, you could double-count them. Ask the notary for an itemised provisional statement and have each line matched against your checklist.
 
I slightly disagree with treating energy performance as part of closing costs. It may not be payable at completion at all. The real risk is budgeting only for completion and ignoring work suggested by the report.

With a detached home there may be no ordinary co-ownership charge, but that does not make maintenance disappear—you carry the building and grounds directly. Check whether there are any shared-access or development arrangements rather than assuming “detached” means no shared obligations.
 
A practical email to the local advisers could ask for: the full completion estimate with no duplicated headings; current recurring property charges; whether the proposed ownership form creates extra administration; consequences of each buyer’s residency; and treatment on sale or death. Separately, ask the seller for the energy report and recent evidence of recurring property outgoings. That should expose assumptions before you sign.
 
Capital gains and inheritance deserve attention before the purchase contract, not only before a future sale. A structure that looks convenient for two buyers today may produce a different result after a change of residency or on succession. I’d have the French notary coordinate with an adviser in any other relevant jurisdiction, then compare the options in writing using the same purchase price and intended use.
 
Back
Top