France purchase checklist: which legal and tax costs are easiest to overlook?

EasyRiver

Homeowner
I can either concentrate on getting a precise closing figure or settle the ownership structure first, and I’m beginning to think the second approach may uncover the larger risks. The student housing is in Paris at roughly €929,200. Transfer tax, registration and notary costs are already on my list, but recurring charges and the consequences of holding it personally, jointly or through an entity remain unclear.

Which questions usually reveal omissions in an initial estimate? I plan to have suitable French professionals address residency, capital gains and inheritance, but I want the checklist organised well enough to identify where separate advice is needed.
 
Ask for an itemised estimate rather than one combined “notary and taxes” figure, so you can see what is included and what may still vary. I’d also split your checklist into purchase costs, annual property charges, and eventual sale or inheritance consequences. The last category matters before you settle on an ownership structure, particularly if your residency could change.
 
One missing fact: are you buying the student housing personally, jointly, or through some form of ownership entity? That choice may connect several of the issues you listed rather than merely changing the closing bill.

I’d also ask who is responsible for the recurring property charges and how they are calculated. A manageable purchase estimate can still give a misleading picture of annual ownership costs.
 
The practical constraint is that one adviser may not cover acquisition costs, residency, capital gains and inheritance with equal depth. An itemised estimate for the Paris purchase is useful, but it cannot settle whether the proposed owner or structure remains sensible later.

I would do this in stages: identify the intended owner and likely residency position, obtain the detailed purchase figures, and separate every recurring charge. Then have the relevant French professionals explain what changes on a future sale or inheritance. That leaves room to adjust the structure before committing, rather than discovering the conflict after completion.
 
Back
Top